Main Menu

Brighter dash bulbs

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 05, 2020, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Didn't find any threads on this but I'm sure I can't be the first guy to ask...is there a brighter bulb that will work in place of the 1894 bulbs I have in my dash light bar? They are barely okay on the darkest of nights but driving through the city with ambient street lighting everywhere, they are so dim I really can't see my gauges.

e_body70

You need BA9S LED bulbs.  Simple plug and play bulbs, and they still work with the dimmer switch.  I purchased mine on eBay. Huge difference for such a quick and cheap change.

70 Challenger Lover

Nice, thanks!  Mine aren't even as bright as your first image.

GrandpaKevin

I bought some LED dash bulbs but before I had a chance to install them I installed the headlight relay kit.
The relay kit made ALL the lights on the car brighter, some more than ever.

I probably will install the LED bulbs eventually but the relay kit made the current dash bulbs pretty bright.

70 Challenger Lover

I've actually been wanting to do that on my car.

71383bee

Another LED bulb switcher here.  Huge difference!  Definitely worth it. Just search for the bulb type on amazon. Some guys have had a lot of success getting the amber bulbs. With the green rallye dash screens the color is more greenish.

Mine are more blue like the pictures above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

70 Challenger Lover

I ordered a ten pack of the high power pure white ones. There were lots to choose from. Less than six bucks to my door. Guess if I don't like them, I'll use them in other places and order something different for this dash. I do like the idea of the relay though.

Racer57

If your bulb sockets have a little corrosion, try to clean them with some emery, etc. and use some electric grease.   The LEDs that I got were not as secure in their own brass socket and I broke a couple twisting them into place.  FYI, I used green LEDs along with the factory blue bulb covers and it looks great. Some have used white and of course some use blue.  On mine, the LEDs were very slightly larger than the hole in the metal. I used a file to make them slightly larger.

usraptor

Quote from: e_body70 on April 05, 2020, 01:23:26 PM
You need BA9S LED bulbs.  Simple plug and play bulbs, and they still work with the dimmer switch.  I purchased mine on eBay. Huge difference for such a quick and cheap change.

I also used these.  Big improvement.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 05, 2020, 04:31:14 PM
I've actually been wanting to do that on my car.

I've got a video on the relay kit if it's of interest

70 Challenger Lover

Is it how to build your own? A friend gave me a plug and play relay kit but I never got around to installing it. I'd be interested in the video.

BIGSHCLUNK

70 Challenger Lover

70vert

I swapped out to LED for all my bulbs, other than headlights (and that is next). Much brighter now, dash, brake lights, side markers, etc.

70 Challenger Lover

If I really like them, I might start switching out bulbs all over the car.