Main Menu

Voltage Regulator Questions

Started by Gary AAR, June 16, 2021, 07:26:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I have a couple questions relative to the Voltage Regulator for my 1970 Cuda. 
1.  I purchased a new voltage regulator and the rubber ink stamp to put the lettering on the regulator.  Anybody have any tips/tricks to get the lettering to look good using the rubber ink stamp?  I've tried using a brush to put a thin film of paint on a smooth surface, then dabbing the rubber ink stamp in the paint, and then stamping the paint onto the voltage regulator.  Results look OK, but the paint is a little heavy on some letters and a little thin on others.  Anyway to get a more consistent look?  Would it work to use a spray paint can to apply the paint to the rubber stamp?

2.  Does the voltage regulator housing have to be electrically grounded in order for the regulator to work properly?  The factory Service Manual electrical diagrams does show a ground symbol coming off the voltage regulator housing.  I have the right bolts (with paint cutter point and washer with teeth) to mount the regulator to the cowl, but not sure the teeth on the washer will bite through the paint on the regulator during installation.  The paint on the regulator seems pretty thick.  Should I scratch a little paint off the regulator to insure a good ground? 

Thanks for the help.

dodj

Yes, the VR needs to be electrically grounded.
Can't help you with the rubber stamp though.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

What paint are you trying to use?  They sell white ink pads that are made for rubber stamps.

tparker

I doubt the application of the stamp would have been too elaborate back in the day. It may have been painted on or it may have been stamped. If it was stamped then usually you have a soaked pad full of ink or paint. You may want to use an ink pad and put the paint on it. You may want to do one or two pre stamps to take the extra paint off of the stamp before doing the box. I would get something to practice on and see what gives the best result. Look at some photos on line to see what originals look like. Often these marks are not completely uniform. Not sure about that one in particular. Good luck