Main Menu

Bypass dash dimmer switch

Started by 70rag383, October 26, 2020, 09:01:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70rag383

Hi All,

My dash dimmer switch is no longer functioning. I have power at the fusebox but no dash lights. What is the quick procedure to bypass the dimmer switch so that the dash lights automatically come on when I turn the headlights on?

blown motor

Just use a jumper wire from one side of the switch to the other. Mine had been that way for about eight years. Your lights will be on full but I find that just right.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70rag383

Thank you BlownMotor. I never use the panel dimmer switch unless it's to turn the interior lights on an that function still works, so I don't mind at all not having the dimmer capability.

Jim AAR

You could also try to fix the Dimmer. Mine wasn't working either so I took it out and removed the back. Cleaned the coiled wire and the contact that slides over it and it works perfect now. as long as the coiled wire has continuity from one end to the other it should work with a bit of cleaning, just do it gently so you don`t break the coiled wire. If that doesn`t work the bypass works just fine, i had mine like that for years before I actually took the dimmer switch out.

70rag383

Jim, that's definitely my long term plan to have the switch repaired. I will use your guidance and initially try to fix it myself. Thanks!

70/6chall

I have an OE dash dimmer switch that I have been hanging onto for my '70 Challenger. It's clean and it's been in a drawer in my garage for quite awhile now. I may want to sell it off if your interested but it is used, but I kept it because it's clean and it works. So, let me know, we'll work something out.
Thanks,   Al

FSHTAIL

My dimmer switch was already bypassed when I got it, doesn't the dimmer control the dome light also?

Is there a way to keep the dimmer bypassed and still actuate the dome light? 

I like it better bypassed at full brightness which is still pretty dim..     But as good as it gets. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

Quote from: Jim AAR on October 27, 2020, 08:16:54 AM
You could also try to fix the Dimmer. Mine wasn't working either so I took it out and removed the back. Cleaned the coiled wire and the contact
@Jim AAR , where did you find the 'keeper' or whatever it's called to reassemble? The one on the 1/8" shaft that holds it together. My 'keeper' broke when I tried to pry it off and am in need of a replacement.  :huh:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jim AAR

@dodj Mine didn't break so i didn't have to replace it, sorry.

Chryco Psycho

JS restorations can rebuild your dimmer switch if needed  :bigthumb:

JunkYardFind

Quote from: blown motor on October 27, 2020, 02:30:58 AM
Just use a jumper wire from one side of the switch to the other. Mine had been that way for about eight years. Your lights will be on full but I find that just right.

Can you elaborate on this. I see 3 plug-ins on the switch, 2 vertical on each end and a horizontal plug in the middle.
Do you just jumper together the 2 end vertical plugs?

I am sure I am making this more complicated that it needs to be but I have limited experience with wiring.
Thanks for any help on this!

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

blown motor

@JunkYardFind.com It's been a few years since I did it so having trouble remembering. If you aren't in a hurry I'm going to try and pull the dash this week to install light tubes. I'll take pictures when I have things apart.

JunkYardFind

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

worthywads

I swapped out the incandescents with LED recently, finally I needed the dimmer switch way brighter.  Tear into it, I bet it is fixable with a good cleaning.

blown motor

@JunkYardFind.com I had in mind that we placed a jumper wire on the dimmer control to bypass the control mechanism but that wasn't the case. It looks like we just spliced a wire from the headlight switch into the wire going to the dash lights. Perhaps it was the wire that fed the dimmer.  :thinking: