Main Menu

Challenger front dash side speaker size

Started by 74 rallye, February 21, 2020, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

74 rallye

In a few weeks I am having the vinyl top and headliner installed on my 74, it has the three speakers up front. I'm not worried about replacing the center speaker but would like to put the two side ones in. I can't remember what size these are. My question is are they 2.5" or 3.5" ? I am also getting a new front windshield so I will need to install the speakers soon, I'm not going with a stock stereo but a Sony explode . Thanks for looking and any answers appreciated
The only easy day, was yesterday

1 Wild R/T

They are 3.5" but the lower frame interferes with most modern 3.5" speaker magnets.... You could spend more to get OE style speakers with small magnets......  Or I've used a die grinder with a cut off wheel to trim the lower frame slightly....

74 rallye

With this small of speakers did you need to use base blockers to prevent distortion of sound ? I had a Monte Carlo SS that I had to use them in with small after market speakers.

shawge

:alan2cents: Good idea to use the filters.  I've seen that some speakers already have them.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Dakota

As stated above, most of the modern stereo speakers won't fit without some modification to the dash frame because of the size of the magnets.   I've attached a few pictures of the extra surgery I ended up doing to get mine to fit.   My car originally had a single speaker in the dash.   I've included a picture comparing the size of the stock one vs. the one that got put in.   I don't own a body saw but something like that might be helpful in modifying the dash frame as there's not a lot of room for other cutting tools.

Another potential issue is getting the small speakers to fit into the front dash speaker grill covers.   I ended up using an Xacto knife and a drill-mounted grinding stone to shave down the outside edge of the speakers by about 1/8" all around so that they would fit into grill opening on the underside of the side speaker covers.   It wasn't hard work - just messy.

74 rallye

Thanks for the reply's, great advice for sure , I have the windshield out so getting to the speaker holes is no problem, I will wait until the after market kickers get here and measure the openings vs. the magnets and go from there is have several sizes of hole saws so I'm hoping I can make this as painless as possible . This summer could be the year it hits the pavement after a long time off the road so I'm trying to get as much done as possible  :)

1 Wild R/T

If you want to use a hole saw there's no metal in the center for your drill bit to hit so it won't guide the saw & the saw will want to do a little dance chewing on everything it touches.... Either weld or screw a metal strap across the center of the hole below the metal you need to cut so you can drill through that & it will guide the hole saw....  Old school trick I've used many times...

JS29

74 rallye

Thanks for the reply's and advice hopefully I'll get some free time this week to work on it , I have to get the car ready to move as I have someone that is going to install the vinyl top and headliner in the next couple of weeks , I have lots to do on it including getting it started after sitting since painting several years ago, I'm going to get it going enough to drive it to Carlisle possibly , but with my schedule I'm not going to sign up for a space just yet🙃