Main Menu

Did a Radio Delete car still have a dash speaker?

Started by moparroy, September 18, 2021, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

My '74 Cuda 360 is a radio delete car. Just preparing to assemble the dash - got the frame painted a few days ago with SEM trim black - very pleased - minor mark on the ash tray door so it will get sanded and painted again.
I was looking at the dash pad earlier today - the original is reusable - this is originally a Canada car so the sun has not killed it. A couple minor marks in it that I'll cover - which I believe will be covered by the cluster when installed anyway.
The dash pad has a speaker installed on it - with connector wire. Wondering if that would have been original just to close off the hole? The car did have an aftermarket sound system put in it before I got it (made a real mess of the radio delete panel but I fixed it up nice) but I doubt that speaker was installed for that sound system - it had 6x9 speakers on the rear deck / package tray.
I am thinking I will leave the speaker in - wondering if that is "correct" - not that I am doing a fully correct resto - but ...
Maybe I should test if it works first not that it matters - leave the wire on it in case someone wants to hook it up later - would image tough to get that wire in when the dash is installed.

anlauto

They got a piece of black cardboard covering the speaker hole, same oval shape as he speaker then the same speaker grill in place.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

I have seen a picture of the oval black cardboard but have never seen one for sale. 
Nor have I seen anyone that has an original offer to take measurements for reproduction of the piece. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

moparroy

Interesting... Looking closer there are signs the speaker is not original. One of the four grill screws is shorter - probably not original and that one and the one across from it are stripped / over tightened in the metal. The speaker wire attached to it is also not the right color codes according to the FSM. The speaker was connected to something at some point - the other ends were soldered to something at some point. I don't remember if it was connected when I pulled the dash apart number of years ago. So time to decide if I leave it there or replace it with a cardboard piece. Small concern - if I fashion something could it become a noise source? The speaker screws down nice and tight. Another option might be use the speaker in place to hold something tight under the grill. Good thing the interior screw set I bought a long time ago has 4 new speaker grill screws  :)
Well have a couple days to think about it - tomorrow is carpet day first.