Main Menu

Dimmer Switch Wiring, and cluster lights

Started by Peter, September 16, 2020, 12:36:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Peter

Hi guys

-71 Cuda manuel tran. The problem I have, the fuse for cluster lights goes when I have the lights on and then switch on the ignition. Rest of the exterior lights and the interior light is not effected after the fuse has burned and all the cluster lights works fine with ignition off except for the one in the AM radio.

I have noted that the dimmer switch doesn't work well (only in the middle position) so I have disconnect it and jumped the black and tan wire together. From the wiring diagram I can see that the black wire comes with power from the headlight switch, and after the dimmer the tan wire goes to the fuse and after the fuse there is a orange wire what supplies the lights with power.

There is also a yellow wire (two in the same connection) in the socket for the dimmer. What do those yellow wires supply?

I'm thinking the problem might be in the radio or there is something wrong in the wiring from ignition switch but not sure. Can also be something else. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance!

/Peter

Peter

Forget the yellow wires, those are for the interior light operated through the dimmer switch. But the problem with the fuse still remains....

Rich G.

Don't know if that's your problem but my friends AAR would blow the dash light fuse too . Unplug the radio and didn't have any problem. I guess the light in the radio was his problem. Radio works just not the light inside it. Unplug yours and see what happens.

Peter

Thx, will try that. (AM radio, so not used anyway)