Main Menu

Distributor question, points vs. electronic

Started by hemienvy, February 07, 2022, 12:57:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

hemienvy

How similar are the two distributors ?
Are they actually identical except one has the breaker point assembly and one has the mag pickup coil, same mounting screw even ?
Likewise, the points distributor has the cam rubbing block on the shaft, and the electronic has the reluctor wheel on the shaft ?
Points has one wire, electronic has two wires ?

Mr Cuda

If you are talking aluminum body single point,  then yes they are the same body.
Of course the electronic distributor has a notch for the pickup pigtail to fit into. I seem to remember something was different between the two.  The bolt(screw)pattern of the breaker plate, or the vacuum advance mounted slightly different between the 2.
  In my mind the only time when swapping electronic guts into a aluminum distributor makes sense is to retrofit a dual diagram 71 style.
Now, if you are talking prestolite cast iron, then no. But the p parts program did offer a race electronic cast iron body. I haven't check if those guts will swap into a factory dual point.
Questions from here?

MoparLeo

What is this question really about ? Trying to hide an electronic ignition? For show car wanting to look like original points from the outside ?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

hemienvy

I have several electronic distributors and I would like to have at least one points setup
(dist, coil, and resistor) on hand "just in case".
If I can't convert of the electronic ones on the cheap, I'll just buy a points dist.

MoparLeo

Just in case ? Over the long run the electronic is the more reliable. It is the reason that all manufacturers changed over from points.
Never needs maintenance. Points type require regular cleaning and adjustment. Electronic type is more available and probably less expensive.
Easier to carry a spare plug in ecu than to have a distributor, ballast, wiring to convert if you had a problem.

hemienvy

OK, that's not my question.
How much is interchangeable ?

Rich G.

The cap and rotor are basically the same if that's what you want to know. ( not the duel point dist )

MoparLeo

If you are wanting a points distributor, it would be best to just buy one. You know that everything fits properly and works since they should be tested.

Mr Cuda

I don't know why you would want to  convert anything to points But if you are worried about being mobile after China or Korea sets off an EMP , carry a complete point distributor that has been tested,  and a 1/2 wrench.
Could also be used as a road trip spare.

YellowThumper

Spare for piece of mind is ok.
However....
Factory electronic is virtually bulletproof.
My system (74) ran untouched for 30+ years.
Inside distributor functions mostly never wear out as it is magnetic and non contact.
Control box does fail occasionally (not mine).
Plug in a new one and good to go.
Same as ballast resistor.
Their setup is almost as simple as points setup.
Power, ground and inter connections to box and distributor.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.