Main Menu

Points Voltage Regulator vs Electronic Igniton Regulator

Started by money pit, December 21, 2021, 08:06:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

On another post I asked about issues I had with over charging after I converted to electronic conversion. Unfortunately I didn't get any response. I replace the voltage regulator, grounded directly to the battery, no difference. I Googled the problem and found a couple of sites that said the voltage regulator on points distributors is different than electronic ignition regulators. The sites said you have to convert to a regulator for a 2 field system (which I already have).  The charging system is charging at 15 volts. Does the system just require more voltage? The one thing I did find, the blue wire to the regulator and the wire to blue wire on the ballast resistor go to the same terminal on the bulk head. Could that be the problem? Should I try an adjustable voltage regulator?  Thanks.

MoparLeo

What is the brand/model of voltage regulator are you
running with the electronic ignition ? Are you using a Mopar electronic ignition setup or aftermarket ? Pictures?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Filthy Filbert

I wouldn't stress too much about 15 volts.   That's maybe a 1/2 volt over what it's supposed to be at. 

dodj

Voltage would be the same. Charging an FLA battery higher than about 14.4 starts to cause issues.
The blue wire is common 12v as you noticed, goes a number of places and what you mention is correct.

Quote from: money pit on December 21, 2021, 08:06:06 PM
On another post I asked about issues I had with over charging after I converted to electronic conversion. Unfortunately I didn't get any response.
There was a few responses. Did you check the suggestions that were made? Make any repairs necessary?

If you did, and it still doesn't charge properly, I'd buy a new VR.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

money pit

The new voltage regulator was from Standard. The electronic ignition conversion was from Mancini Racing (purchased through Roseville). The installation was simple. one wire to the coil, the other to the ballast resistor that has power with the key on. I'll try to send some pictures later.  Thanks.

money pit

Sorry I was mistaken about the responses. I was looking at another post I made. Yes, I tried the repairs, The voltage came down from 17 volts down to 15 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator, no change.  After Googling the problem I found a number of responses on A Bodies Only, that the points distributor had a different voltage regulator and the regulator need to be replaced when the distributor was replaced with an electronic unit. Some responses said to use the Mancini blue regulator that puts out a constant 13.5 volts.  Thanks

dodj

Quote from: money pit on December 22, 2021, 08:35:46 AM
The voltage came down from 17 volts down to 15 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator, no change. 
I had a similar situation years ago. My charging voltage was about 16.5v. I cleaned the bulkhead connections (that you don't have) and the voltage came down to about 15.5. Then I cleaned the connector near the pass side valve cover, I removed and cleaned the alt connections, I polished all the connector blades and female halves, the starter relay connections, the battery connections, cleaned VR connector and attached the VR with star washers to ensure a good ground.
Put dielectric grease on the connectors and my charge voltage been good ever since.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

money pit

Thanks. I'm in the process of cleaning the contacts. You brought up some areas I didn't think of cleaning.