Main Menu

Clutch Pedal Switch

Started by Racer57, March 25, 2021, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I suspect due to appearance that my switch is the original. I would like to buy a spare, but the sites I've found them on demand a core. Is there a place to buy them without a core ? Also, if it should fail, can it be bypassed ?

dodj

There must be someone just selling the part I'm thinking.
Yes they can be bypassed. Mine has been like that for 30 years.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Why do you need a spare ? if you have a problem JS Restorations can rebuild it .
With all the 4 spd conversions the demand for these switches exceeds supply & no one is reproducing them .
typical pricing If you can find one is $250 or more .

Dakota

Yes, the switch can be bypassed.   The green wire on the starter relay provide the ground signal from the clutch pedal switch (sometimes called the neutral safety switch or NSS).   If you run a ground wire directly to the spade terminal on the relay where the green wire normally goes, you will have bypassed the NSS.   Just make sure you have good connections on both ends of the bypass wire or you'll be opening your hood a lot.  A 16 gauge wire will work fine.  When I bypassed mine, I ran the wire to a grounding location on the radiator (maybe on the core support? I don't remember at the moment) on the upper portion of the driver side facing the engine using a ring terminal.

At the risk of stating the obvious, with the switch bypassed, you or anyone else starting the car have to make sure the car is in neutral and/or the clutch pedal is depressed or you risk the car moving unexpectedly.

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 26, 2021, 03:07:11 AM
Why do you need a spare ? if you have a problem JS Restorations can rebuild it .
With all the 4 spd conversions the demand for these switches exceeds supply & no one is reproducing them .
typical pricing If you can find one is $250 or more .
I want a spare so I can drive my car instead of waiting.   :stayinlane:

anlauto

Bypassing it is a very simple process, you could do that and still drive the car while your switch is of for restoration. I recommend SF-Resto of course :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Check O'reillys   they do sell an aftermarket switch Part #: 8486-05 for $18.99

dodj

Quote from: chargerdon on April 04, 2021, 07:28:12 AM
Thanks Don, I'm gonna buy one of those  :bigthumb:

There was no way I was going to pay the $250=$350  plus for original so I've had mine bypassed for years.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

YYZ

Quote from: dodj on April 04, 2021, 04:58:33 PM
Quote from: chargerdon on April 04, 2021, 07:28:12 AM
Thanks Don, I'm gonna buy one of those  :bigthumb:

There was no way I was going to pay the $250=$350  plus for original so I've had mine bypassed for years.

Exactly.  A length of green wire, grounded inside the car (so everything appears to be correct under the hood) is inexpensive and effective.

Plus you have the advantage of being able to clear your car from an intersection by cranking the starter with the car in gear.

And you also don't have to preload the unlubricated crank thrust bearing by holding down the clutch and cranking the engine before there is oil pressure.