Main Menu

Front signal light ground question?

Started by 750-h2, May 18, 2018, 06:19:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am about to install the front signal lights on my 1970 Challenger. My question is, do I have to make sure the signal light housings are grounded to the valance or does the harness itself ground the sockets?  Really do not want to scratch things up for a ground if its not necessary.  Thanks.

Rich G.

Has to ground to the valance. Toughest part about these cars when everything is nice and painted!

750-h2

Maybe I am wrong , but I thought the reproduction housings were made from plastic. I checked my valance with an OHM meter and with all the fresh paint it is not even grounded to the body.  :'(

Claudia

I actually ended up running a dedicated ground wire to each of my front park / turn light housings on my '71 Cuda.  :alan2cents:

71-440

My '71 they are grounded to the body. The previous owner who built the car did it that way.
Joe

anlauto

I've never removed any paint from a front valance and never had an issue.... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Technically just bolting in the housing should be enough. I had only one working until I played with it a bit. It's only a 2 wire socket 1 for the parking light and one for the turn signal. Has to get the ground from the housing.

750-h2

Thanks. Good to know the housing needs to be grounded.

Chryco Psycho

Just because the factory didn't use a ground wire does not mean you cannot add one , even if you just pinched a loop connector between the housing & valance

AAR#2

We hear these stories all the time, these systems are designed to be grounded in most cases through the chassis. Using factory hardware can reduce your chances of failure, many have paint cutter tips on bolts and bottoms of washers. As a general practice It's cheap insurance to ring out each item installed throughout your restoration. Takes only a moment and you'll be happy at the end of the build when everything works as it should.

RUNCHARGER

I suppose you can add a bit of grease after scratching the paint to prevent rust. I've never had an issue though.
Sheldon

anlauto

Personally ....I would wait to see if you have a problem first :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration