Main Menu

Fuel gauge not reading properly

Started by mike price, November 07, 2017, 01:56:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

I hope it is now working correctly for you  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Great news. Nice to have everything working correctly.
Sheldon

Katfish

So what was the problem and the fix?

dodj

Quote from: Katfish on December 03, 2017, 10:19:09 AM
Glad you got it working but I am curious also. What did you determine to be the problem? How did you resolve it?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

303 Mopar

Quote from: dodj on December 09, 2017, 04:06:28 PM
Quote from: Katfish on December 03, 2017, 10:19:09 AM
Glad you got it working but I am curious also. What did you determine to be the problem? How did you resolve it?

Ya, what they said..... :popcorn: :pixiepop: :popcorn: :pixiepop:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

quapman

That's REALLY weird. The little can is the time delay relay for the key light and headlight switch light on the dash.

HP_Cuda

Any addition or removal of pieces of a wiring system can effect the resistance and hence the ohms. Makes you think why they did it that way but....
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Katfish

Check the float, they can get pin holes and they sink and you get low readings .

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: mike price on October 01, 2019, 11:08:52 AM

anyone know where to get a RELIABLE sending unit.  NONE of this Foreign junk.  ????

Mike Price

I have two answers for that, neither is cheap but both solve the problem...

1) NOS, not easy to find these days but I've installed dozens of them through the years and never had a problem with any of them...

Aftermarket senders I've had nothing but problems

2) This is new parts but not OE design... You would need to replace your fuel tank with a tanks inc EFI style tank, it can be used without EFI...

The reason for the change is it doesn't use an OE style sending unit.. It uses a sender that drops straight in from the top and has a SAE 5 bolt mounting flange...

The senders are made by a company called Issapro out of Portland Oregon...  I recently installed one in my car after being very displeased with the aftermarket POS that I had run for the past few years and after hearing many good reviews of the Issapro sender...

Oh, btw the issapro sender is completely different from the OE design, it's a tube.... I wouldn't care if it looked like a giraffe, it works perfectly...

What really needs to happen is someone needs to contact Issapro about making a proper sending unit...  But as usual when there's already a part available it kills the interest in making a quality part cause the market doesn't support the investment...

318Stroker

Quote from: mike price on October 29, 2019, 10:01:40 AM
Had bad sending unit (both that I had).  Ordered NOS unit and works great and accurately.

Thanks
Mike

Can I ask where you got an NOS, and what it cost?

303 Mopar

Quote from: 318Stroker on October 29, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: mike price on October 29, 2019, 10:01:40 AM
Had bad sending unit (both that I had).  Ordered NOS unit and works great and accurately.

Thanks
Mike

Can I ask where you got an NOS, and what it cost?

eBay and Tony's Parts are two places I know of, but they are pretty pricey....more than $50 usually.