Main Menu

Fuel pump relay circuit breaker question

Started by Cudakiller70, May 18, 2017, 12:39:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Fuel pump relay kit came with a 30 amp circuit breaker, that's it no other type of protection. The CB is installed close to the battery source per directions.
So the circuit breaker protects the circuit, I can see that, but the pump only draws 5 amps. Wouldn't you want a fuse somewhere else for the pump?  Maybe signaling the beginning of a problem?

Cuda Cody

So there is 2 different wire sizes and only one of them has a 30 amp fuse? 

Sometimes devises only pull a small amount of amperage, but at start up they pull a huge amount?  Just thinking out loud now.   :thinking:

Cudakiller70

Sorry Cody should of post this to clarify
Manufacture of fuel pump recommends 7.5 amp fuse if powering through the oil pressure safety switch and fused after oil pressure switch. I'm not doing a oil pressure now.

Cuda Cody

Wish I could be more help, but your over my head already.   :sorry:

1 Wild R/T

Thing is if the wire grounds out it'll pop a 30 amp breaker immediately, As mentioned start up load could spike briefly & allowing some room isn't gonna hurt anything...  You could track down a lower rated CB but they probably got a deal on 30 amp breakers in a bulk package.....

lulurocks(Ken)

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 18, 2017, 01:57:16 PM
Thing is if the wire grounds out it'll pop a 30 amp breaker immediately, As mentioned start up load could spike briefly & allowing some room isn't gonna hurt anything...  You could track down a lower rated CB but they probably got a deal on 30 amp breakers in a bulk package.....

I agree with above.  The 30 amp is only protecting the wire.  Not the pump.

My interpretation would be  pump rating x 125%  and bump up to the next higher size if there is not one available in your calculated size.

5 x1.25=6.25       Fuse it at 7.5 or a 10 after the relay.

7.5 is right in line with the manufactures  recommendations