Main Menu

Gas gauge issue

Started by Spikedog08, June 16, 2024, 07:12:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So I replaced my standard dash with a rallye setup and when all done the gas gauge doesn't work?  It worked fine with the standard setup so I assume all is good at the tank and it is something I'm missing at the dash?  So other then hooking up the wire at the gauge, is there something else that needs done?  I know I had to change the oil sending unit to work with the Rallye package . . Is the gas gauge sending unit compatible with the Rallye package.  All help is always greatly appreciated . . Probably just me forgetting something . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

BIGSHCLUNK

cuda hunter

Ground is what I would start with. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

MoparLeo

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

Click on the above link to our inhouse videos. Check out the one for testing gauges.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Jay Bee

Sending unit is the same for standard and rallye. Simplest initial test is ground the blue wire the turn ignition switch to ON or ACC, gauge should move.

Chryco Psycho

You should have 5v / pulsing power in & out of the guage & 5v at the tank wire , , if the guage is faulty there will not be power out on the blue wire

Spikedog08

Thanks guys!  Will check it out soon . .

Jay Bee

Make sure the meter's leads have good connections, a solid valid ground and I usually put a bolt inside the blue wire's connector. Just a reminder, key ON or ACC to see the pulsating voltage. I take it the Temp & Oil gauges are working. 

chaps70rt

I am unfortunately in the same boat!!  Here are the items I have checked (eliminated so far)

a) 12V at the IVR  (Multi-Meter)
b)  5V out of the IVR 
c)  all gauges tested for function with three AA batteries
d)  Check that the threaded posts on the back of the gauges are not touching the chassis of the cluster (grounding)
    Each gauge should have a non-metal gasket between the nut and chassis of gauges.  I even added some heat shrink to
    each post
 e)  Check the 4-post jumper from the IVR to each gauge for internal shorts.

My next test will be to see how many ohms I have coming off the blue harness from the tank at the kick panel, then again at
the back of dash (blue wire).

Failing that ..... I am out of options.    Will need to check all the other entries on this forum for other ideas.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

captcolour

My fuel gauge stopped working abruptly.  Bought a new sending until but haven't installed it yet.  Also bought the interface module from Tanks, Inc to calibrate and improve accuracy of the gauge once it starts working.  Again not installed yet.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 17, 2024, 06:03:32 AMMake sure the meter's leads have good connections, a solid valid ground and I usually put a bolt inside the blue wire's connector. Just a reminder, key ON or ACC to see the pulsating voltage. I take it the Temp & Oil gauges are working. 

Yes other gauges did appear to be working . .  :clapping: