Main Menu

LED Bulbs -Best Replacement?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, May 26, 2021, 09:36:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

I want to update my 1157/1156 bulbs w LED's. After scrolling thru Amazon...  :headbang:  I dont know one from the next, but I will say some look very flimsy. I read reviews of bulbs destructing just trying to get them seated. If you did it, what did you use?

three two barrels

I've used both Phillips and Putco and am very pleased with both. The Phillips are cheaper but the Putco's are brighter.

dodj

Whatever you buy,  get LED's in the colour that matches the lens colour.  Red for tail lights, yellow for front signals etc.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70vert

I used Super Bright to replace all of mine. Quality is good, very bright and available in red/yellow/white (very important as mentioned).
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1970-dodge-challenger-vehicle-led-lights?make=22&model=533&year=1970

BIGSHCLUNK

Another question - Has anyone had the "hyperflashing" issue?  What did you do to correct it? 

70vert

Interesting, I did not although I bought the special flasher that Super Bright sells for that issue so I didn't use it. In fact mine flash a little slow  :notsure:
PS: Super bright has 15% off for Memorial Day!

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 27, 2021, 09:17:28 AM
Another question - Has anyone had the "hyperflashing" issue?  What did you do to correct it?

BIGSHCLUNK

70vert , yes saw the 15%. Then I started looking around... hence the flashing question. Thanks  :cheers:

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on May 27, 2021, 06:31:38 AM
Whatever you buy,  get LED's in the colour that matches the lens colour.  Red for tail lights, yellow for front signals etc.

@dodj why is that?
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

shawge

Would have something to do with the spectrum of emitted light from the bulb.  White LEDs (warm or cool) would not have a lot of the red spectrum so the tail light would act like a filter and only allow the red spectrum through.  Given that there isn't a lot of red, the final color would look pinkish.  Red LEDs have mostly the red spectrum so the final color would be red. 

Edit: fix my speling :)
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on May 27, 2021, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: dodj on May 27, 2021, 06:31:38 AM

@dodj why is that?
What Shawge said.
Basically, if you go with white leds, they will 'wash' the colour out to a pale version of what it is supposed to be.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill