Main Menu

Exterior bulbs

Started by 73TopBanana, November 15, 2021, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73TopBanana

Afternoon all, 73 challenger, front turn signal bulb. Replaced the clear 1157 bulb with an amber 1157A as shown on the bulb chart.
The blinker works, however, when head lights are on the bulb does not light up when not blinking.
Am i using the correct bulb? Should the bulb have any other model numbers or letters on it?
As usual thanks to all my Mopar colleagues.

71383bee

Is it an LED replacement?  If so you need to get a new digital flasher.  Be sure to get one with neutral polarity or the wiring in the connector needs to be swapped.

Otherwise it could be a grounding issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

70rag383

Over the last weekend I had the same problem - my left turn signal worked but the parking light did not work. I removed the housing from the car. I could not remove the bulb as it was very corroded so I ended up breaking the bulb and removing it with some pliers.  I cleaned up the contacts in the housing with some steel wool, applied some dielectric cleaner and dielectric grease and then installed a new bulb.  I did the same to the right-side housing which had a lot of corrosion too. Worked like a charm and was a simple fix. The bulbs are the original 1157 factory spec and not LED replacements.  I'm thinking of going to LEDs for reduced heat.   

73TopBanana

Thanks 71 Bee, am using old style bulbs

73TopBanana

Thanks Rag, did you install the clear 1157 or amber 1157A, maybe i should switch back to clear.
Trial & error, the usual... :unitedstates: :canada:

MoparLeo

A good illustration on why you should clean all electrical connections on your car. Including harness connections and all bulbs.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Filthy Filbert

If they're not LED bulbs, that' rules out a polarity mis-match, which I have seen when swapping LED bulbs into vehicles that did not originally have LED bulbs.

Which means only 1 thing...  You have a bad ground.   The light is backfeeding through the parking light circuit.  When you apply voltage to the parking light circuit, it's unable to go to ground because the voltage drop between the 2 is 0 volts when you need a drop of 12 volts to get the light to illuminate.

fix yo grounds!

73TopBanana

Thanks Filthy/Mopar Leo and the rest

70rag383

Quote from: 73TopBanana on November 16, 2021, 11:18:01 AM
Thanks Rag, did you install the clear 1157 or amber 1157A, maybe i should switch back to clear.
Trial & error, the usual... :unitedstates: :canada:
I went with clear bulbs, 1157.