Main Menu

Help Diagnosing Electical Issues

Started by Cudajason, June 06, 2023, 06:50:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Hmm. One wire option. Is the regulator in the alternator?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on June 20, 2023, 04:40:49 PM
Hmm. One wire option. Is the regulator in the alternator?

Yes sir, it has what I would call a small external regulator on the alternator.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

So you didn't fix the problem..... you bypassed it.  Irrelevant I guess seeing as you are going with a regulated alt.

Just a personal opinion,  but one wire alt's aren't as good as the original Mopar alt's

Going to remove the stock vr I would guess?

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

What do you do with the field wires and the stock regulator? Leave it unconnected.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on June 21, 2023, 01:52:17 PM
So you didn't fix the problem..... you bypassed it.  Irrelevant I guess seeing as you are going with a regulated alt.

Just a personal opinion,  but one wire alt's aren't as good as the original Mopar alt's

You could look at it that way, but it sure seems to be fixed.

Took it for a spin on the weekend, with the eclectic fans installed and had no issue.

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 22, 2023, 10:08:37 AM
What do you do with the field wires and the stock regulator? Leave it unconnected.

Yep just disconnect it and tape off the connectors.  I will likely dig into the wiring harness, which is not stock, I built it myself, and pull out those wires and remove the VR.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on June 26, 2023, 08:16:37 AM
Quote from: dodj on June 21, 2023, 01:52:17 PM

You could look at it that way, but it sure seems to be fixed.
Hi Jason, I didn't mean to say that you didn't repair the charging system, obviously did. Just that the problem with the vr and wires was never quite determined..... it was made redundant. ...... and I was left hanging waiting to hear what the root cause of your issue was.... now I'll never know!   :'(