Main Menu

2 speed wiper not parking/slow to move -**FIXED**

Started by Ricomondo, December 28, 2019, 06:37:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ricomondo

Bought my TA in June of this year and just now got around to checking the wipers today after I washed it. 2 speed wiper motor and they moved really slow in either speed and when turned off, do not park and instead will stop whenever the switch is turned off. The switch pod IS grounded properly and there is a screw in the lower left screw hole where it contacts the dash frame. Does this sound like a bad switch or possibly the motor since its soooooo slow to move?
PS -also checked the ground strap/bolts at the firewall
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Chryco Psycho

likey a bad motor , what tends to happen is the wiper catch on the lower windshield trim & the motor will not shut off until they are in the park position , so the motor gets damaged

SF-Resto

Probably need's a good rebuilt ...

Cudascott

Sounds like an issue with the park switch and contacts inside the wiper motor gear housing

Ricomondo

Had it rebuilt / restored and it's all good now! Was all gummed up with almost 50 year old grease.
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

dodj

Who did you have rebuild it and were you happy with the price point/service?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

"You get what you pay for"...   NOT TRUE

I just ordered a NEW wiper motor for my 74 Challenger.   Bought it with lifetime warranty, and 0nline free shipping from Advance Auto.  WAI brand for $57.99 minus their 20% discount you always get and with free shipping and tax total was $49.75...   

Now from looking online at Rock Auto, Advance, Autozone, Oreillys there appears to be only 1 New brand the WAI..   Some blood sucker on Ebay (Norms speed shop) is selling new wiper motor for ...da ta da...  $200 .   Honest...see https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-2-Speed-Wiper-Motor-1972-1974-C-B-E-Body-Cuda-Charger-Challenger-New/123885564351?fits=Year%3A1974%7CModel%3AChallenger&hash=item1cd827b1bf:g:8UYAAOSw94JdYZ9f sure looks like the same one as the others. 

Now, if you want a rebuilt one Advance also sales via carquest brand name rebuilt originals for $53.99 + $20 core.   Again, do it online and its 20% off plus free shipping.   I thought about getting the rebuilt one, since it is original, but i didn't want the hassle with the core charge since its online only.   Also the rebuilt one comes WITHOUT the rubber bushings.  so, id have to force the old ones out, and put into the rebuilt unit...hastle.   I know its not original...i don't care...i'm not an originality nut..and as far as resale value, i'm 72 years old, and i will keep the Challenger until i die...then my grandson gets it...lol..  Also, I DO NOT enter my car into the car shows.   I do not pay people ($20 registration to almost all of the shows here in NC) to look at my car, then be held hostage until the 3 pm awards where you might win a $5 plastic trophy. 

chargerdon

OMG...it just keeps getting better and better.   

Same vendor (Norms Speed Shop) now also list remanufactured wiper motor for $425 on Ebay.   Meanwhile you can buy remanufactured from A1 Cardone for $75 including free shipping also on Ebay, or again from Advance Auto for $53.99 Minus 20%, plus $20 core charge with free shipping.   

Yep...you definitely get what you pay for !!!    ;) ;)