Main Menu

Help with buying coil and mopar ignition box

Started by nsmall, February 25, 2020, 10:00:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I was left stranded today.  I reckon it was an ignition issue.  The car is running again, but I wanted to change out two parts...

1. Is this coil any good?  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8203/make/dodge/year/1973/model/challenger
2.  Will it mount in the stock location with no modifications?

3. How about this box? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-MOPAR-Hi-Perf-Ignition-Box-Control-Module-340-440-Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth/223729189173?hash=item34174c8135:g:~KIAAOSwMgdXzdQA

I have an orange box.  I just want to update these two parts as everything else on the car is new.

If this matters.....itsa mild built 340, not stock, not radical.  I have a Mopar distributor if that matters.

I was out having a blast today, had the car nice and warmed up (20 miles into a drive), car died at a stop sign, couldnt get it started. Dumped fuel in the carb, nothing.

Had it towed home, tested as much I as I could on the electrical end, asked the ol lady to turn her over to see if there is spark, and BAM, car fired up.  I have had ZERO heat soaking issues with the car.  It has never stalled on me, car has never Not started.  There is gas getting to the carb.  Not sure what happened.

Thanks in advance regarding any advice on the parts or trouble shooting. 

PS I did just finish flooring it through 1st, and 1/2 of second, and just bumped it into 3rd and coasted to a stop sign and the car died.  No backfiring, just plain fun and then the car croaked on me.

7212Mopar

Ballast resistor good? I had the MSD blaster coil for awhile and no problem. Just use the ring connectors over the post instead of the slip on type. As for the control box, I had good experience with RevNator. Much more modern and better than the stock box.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nsmall

Ballast resistor good? I had a spare and that didn't help.  So I'm confident that's not a problem.  Thanks for your advice.

nsmall

tman

I have the Rev n nator and matched coil for 4 yrs. Works great. 

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: REv-N-Ator only
Mancini may have the blue box still available for about $20 you can throw in the glove box as a spare

mopartaz

I have a Jacobs Coil and wires with a Mopar orange box and distributor on my '62 now for 20 years and it hasn't failed to start.

Chryco Psycho

the old orange boxes were very good when they were making 100s daily but now not so much  :Thud:

RUNCHARGER

I've never used a revnator so can't comment. I have bought new orange and chrome boxes in the last 10 years though and had multiple failures. I always buy 2 of anything now and keep 1 in the glovebox. Sad state of affairs.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

I've had the FBO box and coil linked above on my wife's Challenger for 3 years now with no issues BUT...I would start with replacing the magnetic pickup inside the distributor and see if that fixes it first. :alan2cents:

I've had a number of them fail over the years and they usually are intermittent and fail once the engine warms up then work again once the engine cools down.

7212Mopar

Check the distributor mag pick up also. Check gap and electrical. I remember someone posted instruction before.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nsmall

@GrandpaKevin

Can you post a picture  or link regarding the magnetic pickup and what it looks like as I'm no expert in these cars?

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Pull the cap & rotor off , the pick up is mounted on the plate & is adjustable , you want .008 gap roughly 3 thickness of writing paper

Chryco Psycho

you can see where the pick up is close to the reluctor [star wheel] on the center shaft