Main Menu

Intermittent no start

Started by xx88man, December 05, 2020, 09:28:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi everyone. I want to make my Challenger more reliable. Occasionally when I shut off the car (usually when I fuel up) the car won't restart. Turn the key but nothing! No click or anything so it's not the starter. I can leave the key on and open the hood to jump the relay and it will fire right up. Then it's fine again for the next few times I have to start it before it does it again. Very intermittent. Some have suggested it could be the wires under the dash but the plug under there is tight and wiggling it when it won't start doesn't do anything. Car is low miles unrestored. Has anyone else ever had this embarrassing issue? Electrical issues are a weak point for me so any help is appreciated.
Keep yer foot in it

usraptor

Clutch safety switch?  Check the connection at the started solenoid next to the battery.  Mine recently did the same thing.  Found the connection at the solenoid had worked itself loose.  It looked connected but had vibrated off enough that it didn't have a good connection.  If it's tight, check the connection for corrosion.  If that's not it then you might want to replace the actual switch on the clutch pedal.  I'm assuming you have a manual trans.  Good luck.

Dakota

My experience is with a manual.  Had a very similar issue as yours, including the embarrassment.  Turned out to be my clutch safety switch (CSS).  It is supposed to ground the starter relay.   Testing showed it made only a very weak connection, so it only worked about half the time.  I'm getting the CSS rebuilt.   While that is going on, I made a more  jumper between the starter relay and the frame as my first "temporary" jumper with alligator clips shook loose over time. 

Brads70

"Green death" in the battery cables?  Caused my Challenger to be flat bedded home once? 

xx88man

Actually it's an auto so not the clutch safety switch. No green death on the cables either. I'll check the connection on the solenoid and report back
Keep yer foot in it

Cuda Cody

It sounds like heat helps cause the issue, so could it be the bushings in the starter?  Once they get warm they might not work as good so you would not get any clicking.  Or maybe a wire or connection that gets warm then does not make good contact?

Cuda Cody

Also, have you tried giggling the shifter in park to see if just the rods that needs adjusting?  I don't think the car will start unless it's in Park, right?  Could it be the switch on the trans?

xx88man

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 05, 2020, 11:39:07 AM
Also, have you tried giggling the shifter in park to see if just the rods that needs adjusting?  I don't think the car will start unless it's in Park, right?  Could it be the switch on the trans?

Good question. I have never tried starting in when it wasn't in park. Gives me some things to check.
Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

Cuda Cody

If giggling the shifter doesn't work, you might try jiggling it.  :drunk:

xx88man

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 05, 2020, 12:21:03 PM
If giggling the shifter doesn't work, you might try jiggling it.  :drunk:

:haha: :haha: :rofl:
Keep yer foot in it

chargerdon

the fact that it starts easy if you jump the solenoid, certainly suggests the NSS at the transmission.   They will start in neutral also, next time try neutral then back to park.   

torredcuda

Yup, sometimes it may not fully engage the nss, try nuetral. If it starts right up jumping the nss it is probably not starter or heat related.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Cuda Cody

That's a great idea. 

Quote from: torredcuda on December 05, 2020, 01:30:16 PM
Yup, sometimes it may not fully engage the nss, try nuetral. If it starts right up jumping the nss it is probably not starter or heat related.

RUNCHARGER

Your grommets for the shift linkage could be worn out making it touch and go to start in park. What I do in that situation is with a foot on the brake turn the key to start with your left hand and using your right bring it down to neutral and move it back and forh 1/2" or so. If the linkage is worn a bit or not set just right that should narrow it down.
Sheldon

73_Cuda_4_Me

Mine would do the same thing when engine bay was warm...

Ended up being the starter relay ground, where it's swaged onto the mounting bracket... I could twist the relay on the bracket, and then would usually fire right up... corrosion around the swaged rivet.

Fixed permanently when installed a new relay, and ran a separate ground wire to the mounting screw.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B