Main Menu

Intermittent no start issue

Started by Wayne, September 11, 2020, 10:41:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: Wayne on September 12, 2020, 11:29:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies.  Have some time today to look at it.  Should I put the di-electric grease on the metal contacts as well?   From what I understand its not conductive but is for anti corrosion and keep out moisture correct?
Yes,  dielectric grease is for helping seal out moisture and preventing atmospheric conditions from causing corrosion of the contacts. It is a very good insulator.
Should use it on all your underhood connectors and spark plugs
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

rhamson

Check the ballast resistor. I had the same problem with hot start and running.

Wayne

Quote from: rhamson on September 14, 2020, 09:39:39 AM
Check the ballast resistor. I had the same problem with hot start and running.

I never liked those things much lol. Went to a MSD box and coil on this car so Im not running one.
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Chryco Psycho

I am glad you found the source of the issue  :bigthumb:

Jay Bee

Quote from: Wayne on September 14, 2020, 06:40:18 AM
Double checked everything in the engine bay and that looked ok.  Went under the dash and looked at the long/flat connector for the ignition switch by the column.(stuff edited out) I'm sure that's why it died when I was driving it. 

My new latest issue too, car just died while driving as if the key were tuned off.

I played around with the ignition switch connector under the dash and got the car started up. Once home in the garage with the car running I played around with that plug again and was able to "kill" the car. My question is where does the yellow wire (S2-18Y) get its 12v from? Is it definitely from the red wire (J1-18R)

Bullitt-

You should see power on the yellow wire only when ignition switch is in the Start position, this is power to the starter relay... All ignition power comes in on the red wire...
  If it dies while running the blue wire is the issue. Cranks but won't start is the brown   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

Thanks Bullitt.

I was focusing on the yellow wire because initially the car wouldn't crank and the yellow wire had only 5v on it in the start position.

Once driving and it died on the road, I was able to get it restarted by jiggling that connector and turning the key.

Sounds like there might be 3 intermittent connections in that plug, red, yellow and blue. It's one of the few things left on my car that's 51 years old.

Jay Bee

All fixed.
Had to work with the red pins a bit because the male kept getting pushed out too. Should be good to go until 2072.

In closing, talk about getting lucky. I was able to drive home from our Thursday night cars & coffee. Car was completely dead (only 5v on yellow) but in my garage, not on a country road at 10:00pm. I just so happened to still have my spare connector AND the great resources of e-bodies.org.