Main Menu

Just a light reminder

Started by 70/6chall, December 17, 2018, 09:02:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

As I was cleaning out some drawers in the garage today and tucked in the back in one of them I ran across this wire/diode with a Mopar part no. on it 2983595. So I did research it a little and found an OE head lamp on reminder buzzer diode. Is this part of the A01 light package? Not just the head lamp on reminder but part of the head lamp delay option? I'm guessing it is for all 1970 Chrysler cars so optioned as such. This must be a difficult piece to come by as I read it supposedly went NS1 sometime from 1975-79. I do not have the A01 light group option on my '70 Challenger, but I do have light in trunk, light in glove box, light in ash receiver, headlight on reminder buzzer and key left in ignition switch buzzer. I do find the buzzer very irritating to say the least. Can any of my fellow forum members shed any light (no play on words here) on this for me.   Thanks,   Al

Cuda Cody

jimynick

Not to try to hijack the thread, but in "light"- sorry- of the subject, is there somewhere where a ashtray/glove box light can be sourced and is the harness equipped for them as a standard?   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dakota

Quote from: 70/6chall on December 17, 2018, 09:02:19 PM
Is this part of the A01 light package?

Hey Al.  I think the answer to your question is "yes".    That diode is the only one I can find on the wiring diagram for the car.  On the diagram, it's referred to as the "light buzzer diode". 

There's a lot more info on AO1 on this thread:  https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/1970-challenger-a01-light-option/725/

anlauto

This is not part of the A01 light group. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 19, 2018, 03:47:39 AM
This is not part of the A01 light group. :alan2cents:

Really?   It allows current to flow from the light circuit to the key in buzzer circuit but doesn't allow current to flow from the key in buzzer circuit to the light circuit....  It is part of the A01 package, it's what makes the Headlights On Warning Buzzer activate....

Jay Bee

Found this on Hamtramck Historical. Library - Salesman Pocket Guide - (1970 Plymouth) - Barracuda. This interested me because I added the A01 to my car and left this warning buzzer out.

Jay Bee

Okay, so I dug further on the H.H. site and found the same for Challenger WITH the buzzer included.

Burdar

QuoteI do not have the A01 light group option on my '70 Challenger, but I do have light in trunk, light in glove box, light in ash receiver, headlight on reminder buzzer and key left in ignition switch buzzer.

The options in the "light group" were not available separately.  The only way you could get them was by ordering that package. 

70/6chall

Burdar.....I understand that the options my car has could not be installed without the A01 group. But this car does have some of the options I mentioned. A trunk lamp, a glove box light, and some of the other things that's what makes the car unusual, there is no mention on the bare bones fender tag of any options I found installed. Stranger things have happened.   Thanks,   Al

blown motor

Could they have been dealer installed? Perhaps the original owner wanted them as an after thought and the dealer put them in.  :dunno:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70 Challenger Lover

We all look at these cars as though they were put together by computers that never make mistakes using endless piles of the correct supplies. I have worked manufacturing jobs and even assembly line jobs (though not in the auto industry) and I can tell you that minimum wage employees make mistakes and most times they don't care enough to inform their supervisors that they have been doing something incorrectly for the past two weeks. Even if they did, it's not hard to imagine the supervisors saying "okay, no harm done" and then leaving it be.

I have pulled apart original unmolested cars and found little things that are a bit different than what all the experts of today say it should be. We all have. It really isn't that hard to imagine some worker who doesn't care much about his job incorrectly installing a few little things like this believing that's what the order called for and then as the car progressed in the assembly, other workers who were more diligent did not install the remaining items in the package.

We have all heard stories from people who worked the factories about the poor workmanship. They used to say "Hammer to fit and paint to match." Nobody cared including the corporation. They just wanted to do whatever it took to keep the assembly line moving and cars sellling. Articles from back in the day criticized these cars for crappy workmanship. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the car was sold with parts of a light package that the build never called for.