Main Menu

key buzzer

Started by drew43a, September 30, 2019, 05:41:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

ok you say road lamp relay.   i dont see one on my aftermarket colored wiring diagram. do you mean headlight delay relay?  where would the time delay relay be mounted?

good news is i now have succeeded in getting the key buzzer to operate properly with the door switches. :veryexcited:  just need one new switch  ordered from ebay.

here is a photo of my rebuilt motor in the car soon to get exhaust and get it started.

anlauto

Small parts like that switch are really cheap at Rockauto and members here get a discount as well  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

i didn't know that. i'm a  :ebay: person.  how does one get the discount at rock auto?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Slotts

And we're back to Key TV...
Let's all give it up to the new spokesperson for Rock Auto, Ladies and Gentlemen!  :clapping:  :bravo:  :clapping:

Before the break, we were discussing the following:

Quote from: drew43a on September 30, 2019, 03:06:32 PM
ok you say road lamp relay.   i dont see one on my aftermarket colored wiring diagram. do you mean headlight delay relay?  where would the time delay relay be mounted?

good news is i now have succeeded in getting the key buzzer to operate properly with the door switches. :veryexcited:  just need one new switch  ordered from ebay.

here is a photo of my rebuilt motor in the car soon to get exhaust and get it started.

Typically, accessory equipment was not shown on the instrument panel wiring schematics in the factory service manuals. Separate accessory wiring schematics were detailed separately.

No, that is not a headlight delay relay shown in your picture.

The time delay relay was mounted without a special clip, but rather double-sided cloth tape and affixed to the steering column. Since the time delay relay was an internal thermal driven device, the steering column was used as a heat sink to dissipate the heat. I am attaching a mock up picture to show how it was done. If the time delay relay is left hanging in midair, it's life expectancy will be shortened before failure.

As of the early teens, Chrysler still sold these 02889565 at the parts counter. They were used on some of the late model Caravans.

Good luck on the first start up. It looks like you are really close!  :twothumbsup:

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

JS29

02889565 was discontinued two years ago! I may have a line on one if needed.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on September 30, 2019, 06:32:58 PM
Small parts like that switch are really cheap at Rockauto and members here get a discount as well  :twothumbsup:

I agree, pretty cheap and easy to find.  Just have to remember to install them so the buzzer will work.

drew43a

@slotts    so what does the diode do? you mentioned earlier that it was not needed for the key buzzer.  i have succeeded in getting my key in buzzer to work. Just wondering what the diode  will do for me. 

i removed the relay at the back end of the ashtray and the number on it is a 2889916 road lamp relay.   I don't mean to question your help.

Slotts

Quote from: drew43a on October 01, 2019, 08:44:42 AM
@slotts    so what does the diode do? you mentioned earlier that it was not needed for the key buzzer.  i have succeeded in getting my key in buzzer to work. Just wondering what the diode  will do for me. 

i removed the relay at the back end of the ashtray and the number on it is a 2889916 road lamp relay.   I don't mean to question your help.

Ok Drew, here is a long-winded answer to a quick question on the diode.

Let's start with how the buzzer relay works. The type of this buzzer relay is called "normally closed". What that means is two of the blades on the relay can conduct an electrical path. When the magnet portion is energized, the magnet breaks that "normally closed" electrical path and makes that electrical path disabled.

Once the ignition on power is sent to the relay, energizing the internal magnet, opening the doors while the engine is running will not make the relay buzz. When the ignition switch is turned off, the internal magnet closes and enables the buzzer wiring circuit to work.

Another different power source is always active (battery power feed) connects at one side of the ignition key-in switch buried in the steering column. This key-in switch allows power to pass to the buzzer relay when the key is in the ignition. With the key out, no key-in switch power goes to the relay.

There is more to describe on how the buzzer portion of the relay actually is created, but for this post, I am just trying to describe the overall operation.

Now, let's consider adding another possible power source trigger being the lights on circuit to make the same relay to buzz. Here is where the need for a diode comes in. What does a diode do? It enables the ability to control the path of an electrical current flow in a direction and the disability to block the flow of electrical current in the opposite direction.

An analogy would be the front door of a house. If you PUSH the door from the inside will open to the outside easily. If you PUSH the closed front door from the outside, the door doesn't open.

The short factory diode jumper is doing this when plugged into the T connector, double red on horizontal T (Circuit Q13A&B) and vertical T (Circuit L6&6A). With the parking lights on will send power down that Q13 circuit, if no power is present, meaning the ignition is off, the key removed, but the doors are not opened. The buzzer relay will buzz.

If both triggers are in place, the key left in the ignition and the switch in the off position AND the lights are one, with the doors closed, the buzzer is on from the lights current. Then, when the door(s) open, the headlight power is interrupted and the key-in circuit is now driving the buzzer.

Sorry, I am missing your point on the road lamp relay? That IS a real 70 only road lamp relay.

Wheh!!! I think it is time for another commercial break, brought to you by our friends Dave and Jon at Roseville Moparts!!!  :haha:  :rofl:

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

drew43a

ok  so in short it is a key in buzzer and a headlights on buzzer ( with the diode)  once the door opens  it uses the key in circuit to keep the buzzer going. correct?

can i make my own?  i am somewhat familar with diodes,  what would i need diode wise to but in a home made pigtail?

you telling me it was a road lamp relay  and since i didnt see it in my diagram i questioned it.  for piece of mind i pulled it out and looked it up. lol   not questioning your knowledge.

ok on the time delay relay, do i need one?