Main Menu

key buzzer

Started by drew43a, September 30, 2019, 05:41:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

can anyone tell me which one and were the key buzzer is on a 70 cuda?
  i know the round one on the brake pedal assembly is the turn flasher. and the one on the fuse box at the top is the horn relay. and someone told me the one on the back side of the ash tray was the hazard flasher unit.   i have a plug under the dash that is "T" shape with a red and a yellow wire and it goes right to another "T" shaped plug 6 inches away and has  3 or 4 wires  connected into it.  is the red /yellow T plug where the buzzer goes?   my wiring diagram shows the key buzzer plug as a 3 wire.   :help:

Slotts

I'll be glad to help you later this morning. I have my Dad at his cardiac rehab appointment right now.
I recently just went through this with a a member @ErikR 70 Barracuda. Maybe somebody will be able to help you before I get back to the shop. Will check in later...

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

anlauto

Look way over on the passenger side of the car on the far side of the glove box. Bolted to the frame should be another relay/buzzer
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

The hazard flasher is on the back of the ash tray.

The "key in" buzzer is on the passenger side by the glove box.  On my M&H replacement harness, the wires for the "key in" buzzer are in the same run as the passenger side door switch.

Over by the steering column, you might wires for a "time delay" relay that would be part of the "A01" light option.   

There's lots more info on A01 here:   https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/1970-challenger-a01-light-option/725/

Cuda Cody

Here's the Key buzzer location for a 1970 Cuda / Challenger (E-Body)  :bigthumb:  They are also ink date stamped.  (dash is upside down in the photo shown with the glove box removed)

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

hey everyone  thanks to alnauto's post of the location  i went and looked on my car and sure enough there it was.  :veryexcited:  i unplugged it and tested it and it is still working  :veryexcited:
now just a little wire tracing and i should have it.  Thanks to all who replied.

Slotts

Looks like you were helped, Drew.  :bigthumb:

One note to make on the 70's. The SE and GC cars used a 2983872 key in relay buzzer as shown in Cody's picture. Next to it was where the 2983336 low fuel relay was mounted, too. 

The correct key in buzzer relay for all of the other E body models for 70 is the 2983696 with the part number stamped into the metal housing.  :alan2cents:

Jim

70/6chall

I have a factory OE lamp on reminder buzzer diode p/n 2983595 available,applicable info.  Thanks,   Al

JS29

@Slotts I have a 2983828 is that a low fuel relay as well? If not, what is it!  :dunno:  :sorry:about hi-jacking this tread.

drew43a

well i need more help.  the red wire to my key buzzer 2983872 not sure what a SE car is,   GC car is grand Coupe i guess,  reads hot.  but still no buzz. i think my first photo with the Female T red/yellow wire connector is where the diode plugs in.  that i do not have.  70/6chall's photo of the diode must plug into my connector.  is that for sale?

second question.  any ideas what my secondd photo is for ?  it is a 2 wire L type connector with a inline fuse holder.  it is right above where the glove box goes.

third question.  any idea what this third photo is for?  2 yellow wires to a round connector is for its under dash by steering colume.  i think its goes to the time delay relay i can't find 

Slotts

Challenger SE (Special Edition)
Barracuda GC (Gran Coupe) GC is just my abbreviation. 

The T connector with the horizontal red and vertical yellow is for the short diode plug in cable. You do not need that diode cable for the key in buzz to work. The key in buzzer relay only works if the ignition power is off. If the engine is on and running, you can open either door without the buzz.

The inline fuse and L connector is for your turn signal flasher. There should be a clip on the side of your ash tray housing where that is mounted. The emergency flasher uses the same type of clip, but mounts on the brake pedal housing.

I will post a picture of the schematic for the time delay. (That is part of option package. Your car may or may not have had that option.)

The 2983828 is also a low fuel relay.

Jim

drew43a

oh  now i see the mount for the flasher relay on the side of the ash tray.  flasher missing.   i  see now what i thought was a flasher relay on the back side of the ashtray (opposite side of flasher mount)  is actually the time delay relay.   :headbang:

So i seem to have  a broken door switch male spade connectors gone on the end. passenger side good.  With the key in the OFF position i had power on the red wire of the key buzzer but no buzz.
would the door switches have to be both open or closed?  to make it work or do they not effect the key in buzzer to make it buzz. or am i missing something else?  when does the buzzer buzz?

more replies on page 2

Slotts

What I am seeing in the last picture is a road lamp relay, not a time delay relay.

Jim

JS29

Is the time delay round, because the one for the fasten seat belt lamp the dealer fixed me up with is.   :alan2cents: