Main Menu

LED 101

Started by jlemler, December 14, 2023, 01:31:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

My father passed 5 years ago.  He left me with a 70 383 with the gran coupe options.  He also left me with a Dodge lil Red Express, 79.  I have been hesitant to touch either in terms of doing anything too difficult for fear of doing major damage.  I have driven them on a regular basis done routine militance. I still have a problem with my heater motor, I working on it.  So I have been reading about the LED lighting options.  I purchased the road lamps mentioned on Amazon these appear to be a plug and play situation, correct? If this works I am ready to go big and start making the move to do the turn signals, marker lights, and rear lights.  I am a bit slow when it comes to electrical work and scare I will blow the car up. I hear things about resisters and I get lost.  I am looking for a basic plug and play setup.  So if you read this so far thanks.  Here are my observation and questions.

1. Headlights I can buy LEDs in a kit, do I need the wiring adaptor to attach it to the existing wire?
2. The marker lights and the turn signal I buy the appropriate white and yellow LED bulbs plug them in and we are good to go, correct?
3. Flashers I may or may not need the LED relay to replace the original under the dash.  I hear that if I don't use the LED relay the flashers may flash slow or not at all, correct?

Once I get the exterior done I will deal with the interior, unless I blow the Cuda up first.  I really wish dad were still here.  I have the overhead console option.
Thank you,
Jeff

blown motor

I replaced all four of my taillight bulbs with LED bulbs that had an 1157 base. Plug and play, nothing else to do there. I didn't bother with side marker bulbs or interior bulbs.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Sure would be nice if someone who successfully replaced their bulbs with LED for extra brightness and lower wattage would give a list of what they used.   I.e brand and part number so that i could follow with my 74 Challenger.   Also, with my 66 Charger.   

Include what they did for any potential flasher problem.   

moparroy

I have put LEDs in my markers - not sure of the number but I just looked up replacements for the original 168 incand bulbs.
On the markers you need to watch the dimensions - not wider or longer than the 168 dimensions.

Turn signals I have only done the rear. Again just look for replacements for the 1157s and 1156s. Suggest you get bulbs that have LEDs on the end. Some are just on the side - I ended up changing them out a second time.

Have not done the front yet (car is not complete) so I don't know about the flasher. These old cars did not require a bulb check capability so might be ok. I have bought an LED flasher in case.

For headlights I bought the Hella H4 replacements. Have not hooked them up yet, but if you get H4 replacement LEDs then should not require any adaptor.

blown motor

Quote from: moparroy on December 15, 2023, 07:23:16 AMI have put LEDs in my markers - not sure of the number but I just looked up replacements for the original 168 incand bulbs.
On the markers you need to watch the dimensions - not wider or longer than the 168 dimensions.

Turn signals I have only done the rear. Again just look for replacements for the 1157s and 1156s. Suggest you get bulbs that have LEDs on the end. Some are just on the side - I ended up changing them out a second time.

Have not done the front yet (car is not complete) so I don't know about the flasher. These old cars did not require a bulb check capability so might be ok. I have bought an LED flasher in case.

For headlights I bought the Hella H4 replacements. Have not hooked them up yet, but if you get H4 replacement LEDs then should not require any adaptor.

I did not change my flasher unit and it was fine. Regular bulbs up front, LED in the rear.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

7212Mopar

Website like Superleds.com allows you to shop by vehicle and they have many choices and options. Classic Industries also publish a table that shows the bulb numbers for cars and can be used as a cross reference. I think the most important ones are the ones at the back of the car so the person behind you can see better, stop and not rear end you.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket