Main Menu

Light Bar Wiring

Started by rt71, April 24, 2022, 08:19:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rt71

I installed a new under dash wiring harness in my 71 Challenger using available wiring diagrams to hopefully get it right.  I did a pretty good job except for the fact my car has the A01 lighting.  After struggling with all the nuances of that option, I have to ask some questions now.  The light bar has four lamps on one circuit and a single lamp controlled by the time delay relay (yellow wire).  Got that one.  The four lamps in the light bar have an orange wire that I presumed would activate them.  Question is - where does that wire go?  Panel dimmer? I have looked at every diagram I can find, but that question is not answered - at least to me.  Also, I have found the ignition light wire, but cannot find its way to the delay relay.  A little help here would be greatly appreciated.

anlauto

In the main harness there is an orange wire with a funky triangle shaped end on it that accepts with orange wires, one being the panel light bar, other being the ashtray light, and console light. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Wiring Diagram.

rt71

That was my first thought, but the connection point is dead.  There is no power to it.  The ignition switch has no orange wire going to the connector under the dash.  The ignition gang plug has an orange wire coming out, but not in.  The fuse has no power in either. 

anlauto

The orange wire at the ignition switch has nothing to do with it, it is simply power for the light on a column shift PRND21.
The wire you need power from, goes through the headlight switch, you won't have power unless the headlights are on...check there first
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

rt71

There just isn't power to that plug with the lights on.  The wiring schematic is rather circuitous.  Following power to the plug, it routes from the radio power (wire X12-red) source at the fuse panel.  It appears there are two radio fuses on the diagram, but not on the fuse block itself.  Very confusing.  The orange E2 instrument lamp connector wire goes from the indicator lamp (E2) on the fuse block, and the orange E2A (radio) radio fuse, and the radio power fuse is a red wire X12.  Something this simple should not be so confusing.  Maybe I'm just overthinking.  I'm using the color diagram most of us have used for the Ralleye Cluster.

Bullitt-

... Power originates at the Headlight Switch, Black wire, before passing through the Panel Dimmer Switch(a common failure point) sent to the fuse block on a Tan wire coming out as the Orange wire...
The Red wire is power to the radio, a separate orange wire supplies the radios ilumination bulb
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

rt71

Thanks for the help on the dash light wiring.  Got it now.  It appears the dimmer switch is toast.  I bypassed it to get the lights to work.  Thanks again.

anlauto

As Bullitt said...toasted dimmer switches are pretty common... :'(