Main Menu

Looking for tach mount suggestions

Started by usraptor, June 02, 2021, 04:43:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

My '70 'Cuda has a factory Rallye dash and when I was restored it I installed one of those RTE circuit boards on the Rallye tach but I don't think I got it calibrated correctly as it seems slow to respond.  I really don't want to pull out my dash cluster again to try and re-adjust it and was considering just adding a vintage style Mopar Tach that mounts to the steering column for a Day Two look and more accurate reading.  However, I don't want to go the large hose clamp route to attach the tach to the steering column and I also don't want to drill any holes in the column.  Just curious if anybody has come up with an alternative mounting bracket/idea or knows of anybody who sells some kind of mounting bracket for mounting a tach to the steering column?

anlauto

:haha: pretty sure you don't want to attach it to the crush can.. :haha:  that would be funny :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Quote from: anlauto on June 02, 2021, 05:07:26 PM
:haha: pretty sure you don't want to attach it to the crush can.. :haha:  that would be funny :looney:

Edited.

anlauto

@njsteve just did one in his car, maybe he can share some pictures. :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Skdmark

What about drawing a mount up and having it 3D printed?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

HP2

Mounted my under the light bar at the far right side of the cluster. Removed one of the screws and replaced with a longer one, screwed tach mount to underside of the dash, hung tach from mount, routed wires behind the bezel.

Burdar

I don't like the hose clamp around the column either.  It looks cheap.  However, on an episode of RoadKill Garage, I did see a trick that would make that install look a lot better.  You can put a length of black heat shrink tubing around the hose clamp.  It protects the column paint and hides the ugly clamp teeth.  If you spray the worm gear black too, it won't be as noticeable. 

usraptor

anlauto

See Autometer has a whole line of "Mopar licensed" products with the old school 70's logo  :twothumbsup:
https://www.autometer.com/3-3-4-tach-8-000-rpm-short-sweep-mopar-classic.html