Main Menu

Tach Jumping around

Started by Cudamike, August 28, 2017, 07:29:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudamike

I have a cuda 440 with electronic ignition. It has the rev n nator with msd coil and mopar dizzy. The last couple times out I have had a slight hesitation when letting off gas then getting back on. Yesterday went for a ride and stopped for an hour. When I started it back up tach needle was jumping around then it stalled. Tried to restart and it wouldn't. After 10 minutes it started back and drove it home. Could it be coil or distributor?
Thanks
Mike

303 Mopar

Electronic of mechanical fuel pump?

Cudamike

Shane Kelley

I have had a bunch of issues with the MSD coils this year.  :verymad: Switch to a different brand and everything is great now. It's hard to say with your issue but I would try a different coil and see.

Cudamike

I have an extra I will give it a try.
Thanks

HP_Cuda

Yep easiest is to try a new coil, then move onto more costly fixes.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

CudaMoparRay

Check the wire going to the tach from the coil it could be shorting out inside the plastic covering if not apparently broken but holding on by a thread. Check for continuity while jiggling the wire to see if that is it.
Otherwise, if easy enough just replace the tach signal wire and eliminate it from the equation. Also check the positive and negative wires for the same condition.

dodj

The tach killing the ignition is hardly rare on these cars...My first move would be to just disconnect the tach.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
you need to reproduce the problem & diagnose it right there