Main Menu

Low fuel relay location?

Started by drew43a, October 10, 2019, 02:26:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

From a thread i started about the key buzzer someone mentioned that the low fuel relay was next to the key buzzer on the passenger side  by the glove box (far side). I do not seem to have a relay up there nor do a see any wires for one. just the harness for the key buzzer and the wires for the door switch. I have no overhead console either but it is a ralley dash. Is there another location in might be? :dunno:  i put 5 gallons of gas in and no reading on gauge.

1 Wild R/T

No overhead console = no low fuel relay...

Ground the wire to the sender in the tank & briefly turn your ignition on... Does the gauge sweep to full?

drew43a

ohhhh  ok  i will check tomorrow. thanks

Chryco Psycho

Do you have the ground strap jumper from the sender the the line at the tank ?

drew43a

drew43a

ok sorry for the delay. i grounder the wire from the sending unit and had someone turn on the key, the fuel gauge went to full.  What does that mean?  we put 5 gallons of gas in to start.

1 Wild R/T

That points to the sending unit or the grounding of the sending unit... You've proven that the gauge and wiring do what they are expected to do...

HEMICUDA

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 12, 2019, 06:24:31 PM
That points to the sending unit or the grounding of the sending unit... You've proven that the gauge and wiring do what they are expected to do...

Randy is absolutely correct, run a wire from the fuel outlet on the sending unit to a "good" ground somewhere on the chassis and see if it works.  If it does, check for continuity between the main fuel line and the body to make sure your line is grounded to the body.  If the sending unit is grounded and doesn't work, the sending unit is bad.  Your gauge should move with 5 gal. of gas.  Put another 5 in it, if the gauge reads, your float is to high and you will need to bend the arm on the float down.

drew43a

I think the car is experiencing lack of use syndrome.  It been so long since this car has been run or used it has to relearn how to do everything.  the fuel gauge started working on its own. :veryexcited: