Main Menu

MSD 6AL Install

Started by Marty73, Today at 09:26:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

Quick question for the group, to those that have installed an MSD 6AL- install is pretty straight forward and I do plan on deleting the BR. Would I be able completely delete the original ECU? I assume it will no longer perform any function Thoughts?

Thanks!
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

7212Mopar

I installed the MSD 6AL as part of my FiTech EFI installation. Stock ballast resistor and ECU are not used but all stock wiring were kept. It can be reverted back later if needed. I fabricated some wiring pigtails for the 12 volt start. You need to get the MSD mounting bracket. Also using the MSD coil and new Iridium plugs when I did the install a few years ago.

Highly recommend that you use the ring connector instead of the spade type connector at the coil post. The spade connector failed and I had to get my car towed. Easy fix but I did not see it when the car was dead on the street.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

MoparLeo

Follow MSD instructions
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Brads70

Quote from: Marty73 on Today at 09:26:32 AMQuick question for the group, to those that have installed an MSD 6AL- install is pretty straight forward and I do plan on deleting the BR. Would I be able completely delete the original ECU? I assume it will no longer perform any function Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes you delete the BR  and the stock ecu. I've had a MSD box in my car for 17 years now with no issues. I left all the stock wiring intact.

dodj

Yes you delete/remove the BR and ECU. I removed all vestiges of the stock wiring for those pieces. I have no intention of ever going back to '70's era electronic ign. As good as it was, it's no match for current offerings. I've since moved the MSD to the trunk with the battery. So I don't appear to have any ecu when the hood is opened.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill