Main Menu

Go wing install

Started by dougdel, August 08, 2017, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dougdel

Got a wing at Carlisle complete with all hardware and under deck brackets that I want to install because I like the look of them. So now I'm trying to figure out how to do this.  My lid has a square hole cut on the left side.  Was like that when I go it,  I quest somehow I need to cut the underside for the brackets but don't want to lay a saw into it until after I'm confident of what I'm doing.  Can someone point me in the right direction? Are these the correct brackets or do I need to order a different type?   I know it wasn't an option in 74 on a cuda, but,,,,,,
Thanks for any and all help in advance

Cuda Cody

This Cuda trunk deck lid wing info is from Ola @cudaized    :clapping:

Photo #1 = Early 1970 trunk lid. The first of three 1970 model year trunk lids. It would be part number 2934744 code 23-19-8. Note the two circle shaped cut outs on the left side in the raised area.

Photo #2 = Mid 1970 trunk lid.  Second of three versions for 1970 model year.  Only one circle cutout on the left side. Additional spoiler bracket cutouts.

Photo #3 = Later 1970 trunk lid.  Third of the three versions for the 1970 model year.  Note: One circle cutout, two Go Wing spoiler cutouts and the additional 4 rectangular cutouts for the AAR spoiler.

Photo #4 = 1971 version.  Note: the Gull wing spoiler bracket cutouts are in a slightly forward position compared to the 1970 version.  All the deck lids have small round cutouts for the luggage rack.

dougdel

Went through all the info and can't seem to find anything similar to what I'm working with. In pic number 4 that has the 2 square cut outs, mine only has one square cut out in similar shape and size, so now I'm thinking I may need the 71 style bracket like is listed on Josh's site, either that or make the cutouts for the brackets I have and fill in what. May need on the left side hole  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

This is only a guess.  I try to put myself in the position of doing the design on these.  The notice comes down that starting in 1972 they will no longer be offering the wing on a Cuda so the dies do not have to have the extra cut out.  But it looks like they left it in place on one side, right?  So maybe they did that so the factory worker could still easily install the trunk light wiring?  Maybe that's why you only have one side cut out?

dougdel

I think your right. And I think I'll just get me a set of the 71 brackets and go from there.  Thanks for all you do here. Btw, how was the ppg seminar?  You able to share anything from it or is it all proprietary information?

6bblgt

which wing do you have? 
the '70 style wing mounts further to the rear, if you mount a '71 style wing in the '70 position, it almost hangs off the back of the decklid

you should be able to mark the '70 style cutouts on your decklid using your brackets as templates, your existing hole isn't in the way of any attaching screws

anlauto

Start with what wing you bought first ? 70 or 71 ? Location is different.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration