Main Menu

MY Own Worst Enemy - Shifter Light Socket

Started by Cudajason, April 05, 2019, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

I swear sometime I am my own worst enemy...went out to start putting my car back together and took more apart.

I was putting the shifter lens and center console back together, and I noticed that the shifter light wire was frayed pretty bad.

Looks like there are only a few strands attached.  is there a easy way to fix this, can I just solder the connection, or does someone make a new socket?

Of course I also spent an hour cleaning an lubing the shifter.

Jason 

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

CudamanTom

I would try giving a nice solid solder to make everything stay together first.
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)

Katfish

Quote from: CudamanTom on April 05, 2019, 07:06:41 PM
I would try giving a nice solid solder to make everything stay together first.

I agree, I had same problem and soldering worked for me.

Jay Bee

I'd use some shrink wrap too. A size that could slide over the terminal yet shrink enough over the soldered spot.

cudaize

To fix this properly you need to cut the wire back and crimp on a new "button".  Using it like this you will probably find that when you install the bulb it is going to break the couple strands of wire that are good.

This is the only place that I found to buy these buttons from http://www.riwire.com/  Go to the part of their site that says washers buttons springs and page down to find the buttons.  For some reason I wasn't able to copy the exact address to direct you there.

Mike Afflerbach

Dakota

Jason - I have a box of replacement buttons that I bought.  I'd be happy to send one or more to you.  Just PM me your address.