Main Menu

NEEDLE BOUNCE.....

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 25, 2019, 08:14:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Just at idle I get needle bounce bad on the volt gauge.  Goes away with a few R's. I have not had charging system issues. I did have the same bounce when it was an amp gauge. Seems to have gotten worse. Where do I check? What do I look for ?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

You changed the amp gauge and it still bounces?  Is it a bad gauge?  Is it the vibration from the car idle causing it?   :huh:

BIGSHCLUNK

:thinking: ... don't think the gauge is bad.....  :notsure:  As for the vibration, the bounce doesn't the idle.

Chryco Psycho

Voltage typically will fluctuate at idle as the Reg switches often there is not enough rpm to keep it steady as you are finding it becomes steady as the RPM rises ,
the situation might improve with a different reg or alt . It seems the gauge is accurate  :bigthumb:

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm starting to wonder it it's just not from the LOW output @ low R's. But then I would think  :notsure: NIKKI would not be the only one with this issue. I dont recall any other threads over the years mentioning this (C-C, D-C, FEBO, FBBO ).  I can live with it providing there's no FIRE related issue................  :stop:

Chryco Psycho

How old is the reg ?
Most are Chinese made now , mine would only last one year on my Cummins
That is the first part I would replace to see if it changes anything

Bullitt-

test at the battery with a separate meter to confirm the voltage is fluctuating.
I'd guess there is a poor connection somewhere, perhaps the blue wire to the voltage regulator or alternator... or a poor ground  :alan2cents: 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

dodj

It's the gauge. No automotive voltmeter responds that quickly to spikes. That is a voltmeter dressed up as an ammeter?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 25, 2019, 08:41:56 PM
As for the vibration, the bounce doesn't the idle.
Not sure I understand this?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

BIGSHCLUNK

The bounce does not correspond to the idle. If that makes sense??  Seems to bounce faster (per se)  And it doesn't take many R's to get it to level out

I did swap out the reg a few years back - made no difference.  I'm sure its qwong hong dong.....

Yes I've done the voltmeter conversion 3-4 years ago by now. 

dodj

Do you have an analog voltmeter to test with to confirm or deny  it is the gauge?

BIGSHCLUNK

I still have a craftsman engine analyser! ya it's analog for sure. 

dodj

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 27, 2019, 07:40:31 PM
I still have a craftsman engine analyser! ya it's analog for sure.
Now there's a classic!

BIGSHCLUNK

BIGSHCLUNK

Anyway, what am I checking vs battery? Alt output at low R's?