Main Menu

New Rallye dash harness questions?

Started by Spikedog08, March 19, 2023, 11:26:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So first wiring is not my best topic but I still will try and although it will take me longer and I will learn, still always have questions.   This thread is for that purpose!   Appreciate all the help I always get!   So first picture,  what is the square attachment with the 189 stamped on it for?  On the new harness, although the holes are there, no wires are attached to it.  Picture 2, what does this plug into?  Nothing like it on the new harness . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Spikedog08

Next, new box has a place for "console" but no clips for a fuse?  Do I not use it?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Another question . . So this is on the old harness but not on the new?  Remember going from standard to rallye . . What is it for?   :thinking:

Spikedog08

anlauto

Means the 70 horn relay is different from the 71-74 ...Yearone usually supplies the horn relay and it looks like you have it installed already  :rubeyes:

That black thing appears to be in a sub-harness ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

I assume the larger wiper switch is a 3 speed? 

Spikedog08

Appreciate all the help from everyone . . Made some progress today.  In my first post, the silver relay I am assuming has to do with the convertible power top?  Just seems logical to me . .

Jay Bee

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 12:57:52 PM

Yes it is. Old picture from Slotts.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 01:23:20 PM
I'm my first post, the silver relay I am assuming has to do with the convertible power top?  Just seems logical to me . .

Nope that's the horn/buzzer relay. I have a '71+ harness (using for spare parts) and the back of that fuse box on mine is labelled "horn   buzzer" by the corresponding output wire.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 19, 2023, 02:15:28 PM
Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 12:57:52 PM

Yes it is. Old picture from Slotts.

Which means I had a variable speed motor and a 2 speed switch!  Figures  :bricks:   Good thing I haven't used the wipers . .

Spikedog08

Quote from: Jay Bee on March 19, 2023, 02:24:55 PM
Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 01:23:20 PM
I'm my first post, the silver relay I am assuming has to do with the convertible power top?  Just seems logical to me . .

Nope that's the horn/buzzer relay. I have a '71+ harness (using for spare parts) and the back of that fuse box on mine is labelled "horn   buzzer" by the corresponding output wire.

And a new harness would not have that?   :huh:   :thinking:

Jay Bee

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 11:26:53 AM
Picture 2, what does this plug into?  Nothing like it on the new harness . . .
That 3 pin connector sure looks like it was meant for a '71+ door ajar switch  :alan2cents:

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/door-jamb-switch-3-prong-71-72-e-71-74-c/

Jay Bee

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 19, 2023, 02:30:10 PM
And a new harness would not have that?   :huh:   :thinking:
Isn't your Reply#1 post with the "square thing" your new harness's fuse box??? if yes, that would be the horn/buzzer relay.

Spikedog08

Ok last questions for today . . The back of the Rallye cluster has some color coding on it which is helpful.  But a have a few wires left and not sure what goes where? 

V for purple/violet
Red
GY for gray

There is a pole there that has DBL at about 11 o'clock, anything go there?
Between RED and GY at 5 o'clock is a pole with no markings, anything go there?

Then I have 3 wires left with no where to go . . A blue that slides on a pole, a black with an eyelet and a black female connector.   Thoughts on those?  Black is typically ground so does it go to the 5 o'clock pole? 

Then at the side panel I have a 3 wire plug with no where to go?  Dark green, light green and looks like a gray with a 3 place plug.  Was that for cars with a rear defrost unit?  In that spot I have the top lift switch and it doesn't fit on that.  Appears that is a separate harness and I have spliced it in already. 

Thanks everyone and especially @Jay Bee for taking the time to help out!