Main Menu

New Turn Signal / Parking lights

Started by Cudajason, March 19, 2017, 11:56:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey Guys,

I am wiring up some new turn signal / parking lights in my 74 and I need some help.  :help:

The new lights are 2 wire lights...the factory lights are a 3 wire light.

I want the new lights to act just like the factory lights (turn signals and parking lights).

New

Factory

I have worked through the factory wiring diagram and I think I know where all the factory wires go and which one is ground.

So can I simple hook the new lights black wire to ground, into the factory harness and they wire the red to the other two wires in the factory harness.

That sounds to easy???

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cuda Cody

What one of the 3 factory wires is ground?

Cudajason

@Cuda Cody it looks to be L6 in the FSM wiring diagram.

Which is one half of the dual plug on the factory bulb.  Wire is black with a yellow tracer.

That wire appears to tie to all the front lights and is ultimately grounded

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

A.Gramz

The factory looks like a duel element bulb.  What type of bulb is in the new light.  Looks like a single element by just two wires comming out

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

Quote from: Cudajason on March 19, 2017, 11:56:46 AM

So can I simple hook the new lights black wire to ground, into the factory harness and they wire the red to the other two wires in the factory harness.

That sounds to easy?

U can't do that as all your parking lights will flash when u turn on a turn signal.  Just my  :alan2cents: 

Cudajason

Quote from: A.Gramz on March 19, 2017, 02:02:27 PM
The factory looks like a duel element bulb.  What type of bulb is in the new light.  Looks like a single element by just two wires comming out

Of course...that makes sense now...apparently I needed to do so more  :thinking: before posting.

The new light is a single filament and can act as a parking light or a turn signal, but not both!   :crazytalk:

So turn signal it is, not sure why I need parking lights!

Jason

A.Gramz