Main Menu

Parts indentification please

Started by Mrbill426, September 26, 2020, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

If I could get some help identifying a couple items that would be great  :)

First is a relay attached to the dash frame on the passenger sided.  The second is blocked off cable of some kind coming out of the back of the radio.
Thanks!

YYZ

So for the second, that appears to be the cable that comes out of the back of the radio to connect the cassette player.

It is a standard 6 pin DIN configuration.

In the end of it, the small black plastic plug with the exposed wires, it is removable.  That is a jumper that ensures that the radio will work, even without a cassette player attached.   The exposed wires should be covered with a black plastic button, which appears to be missing.

Tip for anyone bench testing a '71-4 radio with the cassette pigtail: make sure
you have the cassette attached, or one of the jumper/shorting plugs.   Without it, you may think the radio is dead, when it actually might be perfectly fine.

Mrbill426

@YYZ perfect; thanks!  :bigthumb:  And I have the black plastic cap that was on it; I just removed it for the photo.

Quote from: YYZ on September 26, 2020, 03:52:58 PM
So for the second, that appears to be the cable that comes out of the back of the radio to connect the cassette player.

It is a standard 6 pin DIN configuration.

In the end of it, the small black plastic plug with the exposed wires, it is removable.  That is a jumper that ensures that the radio will work, even without a cassette player attached.   The exposed wires should be covered with a black plastic button, which appears to be missing.

Tip for anyone bench testing a '71-4 radio with the cassette pigtail: make sure
you have the cassette attached, or one of the jumper/shorting plugs.   Without it, you may think the radio is dead, when it actually might be perfectly fine.

Mrbill426

Anyone know what that relay is for?

anlauto

Looks like an aftermarket version of the door buzzer mounted on the far side of the dash on the passenger side.
Does it have a Chrysler part number ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@anlauto  The buzzer is there; a thin black plastic box with only two connections and it works with voltage applied.  I will look for numbers and get back to you; thanks

Quote from: anlauto on September 27, 2020, 07:46:06 AM
Looks like an aftermarket version of the door buzzer mounted on the far side of the dash on the passenger side.
Does it have a Chrysler part number ?

anlauto

I have no idea what it is then, doesn't look like a factory E Body part that I'm aware of :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Looks possibly to be a 0312 number on the side of the relay, if in fact a Mopar would be a 1972 item

YYZ

Later seat belt buzzer?  I'm almost certain I have removed these before

Mrbill426

tparker

My 1970 western sport special Challenger has one on the passenger side as well. I am not totally sure what it is, but I have electrical diagrams so we can figure it out.  It isn't a seatbelt buzzard as my seatbelts didn't have any electrical connections. I think I figured it out at one point but have since forgot. I'll look at my electrical drawings.

Jay Bee

According to JS Restorations via a Google search that part number is " Seat belt relay".

tparker

I'm doubting my ability to read the schematics. They arn't very clear. I don't see any wiring info about seatbelts for the 1970 challenger. The dash diagram seems to label it as a Timer Delay Relay but doesn't give any description. The only thing I see similar in the wiring diagrams is the Key Buzzer. My second thought is something with the blower or AC. Just a guess. I'll look tomorrow to see if I hooked it up and trace it back to figure it out if no one answers it.

Jay Bee

In his profile the OP has 1972 Cuda as "Current E-bodies Owned", which would have a seat belt warning system. Whether the location he found it in is where it's suppose to be mounted, I don't know.

Mrbill426

@Jay Bee yes it is a '72.  I found a parts list that says for earlier (pre Nov 71) it's a low fuel relay and for after Nov it's a seat belt relay :huh:; mine is Apr '72.  Not sure what it actually does though; just energizes a buzzer?  :dunno:

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Jay Bee on September 28, 2020, 06:11:53 AM
In his profile the OP has 1972 Cuda as "Current E-bodies Owned", which would have a seat belt warning system. Whether the location he found it in is where it's suppose to be mounted, I don't know.