Main Menu

Side marker Light question...

Started by anlauto, January 29, 2022, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I thought it would be quicker to ask here then to dig out a wiring diagram ....

On a 1970-1971 E Body Cuda or Challenger, the rear side marker light has one wire, obviously a power wire when the light is turned on, and it grounds through the body. HOWEVER the front side marker lights have two wires going to them, WHY ? What's the other wire for ? Is it a ground circuit ?  None of these light are flashing, they simply come on with the headlights, or driving lights . :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Front side markers have a power and a ground.
Ground wire is spliced into the rest of the light ground lug that terminate on the core support  by the battery.
The factory mastic between the fender and the inner apron would have prevented a reliable ground. The qtr panel relies on the teeth of the inner clamshell to dig into the qtr skin for ground, and often doesn't.

JonH

Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2022, 12:28:25 PM

On a 1970-1971 E Body Cuda or Challenger, the rear side marker light has one wire, obviously a power wire when the light is turned on, and it grounds through the body. HOWEVER the front side marker lights have two wires going to them, WHY ? What's the other wire for ? Is it a ground circuit ?  None of these light are flashing, they simply come on with the headlights, or driving lights . :huh:

Side marker lights do not flash. They simply light up when headlights/parking lights are on...

anlauto

Quote from: JonH on January 29, 2022, 01:02:59 PM
Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2022, 12:28:25 PM

Side marker lights do not flash. They simply light up when headlights/parking lights are on...

I know, that's what I said.... So one could imagine that at the front of the car....the solid black wire is the ground and the black wire w/yellow tracer is the power wire, while at the back of the car, the solid black wire is the power wire... :looney:  not confusing at all... :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration