Main Menu

No power problem

Started by cuda hunter, January 02, 2020, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

So, as I mentioned on this thread here, https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/1986-ram-hotwire-question/14140/, I have a small gauge black wire that goes through my column to the ignition switch.  I couldn't find where it went because it goes into a bundle of wires up behind the dash. 
  Today I figured out what that one small black wire was connected to.  The E brake.
I had said on the other thread that the e brake light had came on once when I was messing with that wire.  Well, I pushed in the e brake so I could do a neutral transmission fluid check and smoke came out through my dash. 
  I located the burned wire, one end goes to the e brake switch, the other end goes to the steering column harness and up to the ignition switch (apparently not supposed to).
  Now I have absolutely no start. 
I have power into the fuse box via the larger red wire. 
I have power to the starter via the largest red wire.
I have power running back to the trailer lights via a smaller red wire.

When I check the red wire coming through the firewall that goes up to the ignition switch I show a very faint amount of power. 
I turn the key on the ignition switch and get absolutely nothing. 
And I know, not an ebody.  86 dodge ram.

Any ideas? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

What do you think someone was doing by messing with the E-Brake wire?  Did someone add a tow brake controller?

cuda hunter

It all appears stock.  Nothing was changed there.  The only wiring that was changed was on the last leg of the steering column. 
Apparently I fried the whole wiring that goes to the e brake light on the column I think.  But that should not kill everything.  It does not appear to have burnt any other wires, but I can only get so far up the wires before they go into the upper part of the wiring harness.  Little brown wires.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

dodj

Quote from: cuda hunter on January 02, 2020, 05:52:15 PM

When I check the red wire coming through the firewall that goes up to the ignition switch I show a very faint amount of power. 

Any ideas?
Check the red wire on the engine side of the firewall for a fusible link?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cuda hunter

Like this? 

Can I go buy this from the parts store? 

cuda hunter

definitely two fusible links. 

Now I have to figure out the amperage for each fusible link.
I'll check the wiring diagrams I have, but being chiltons and hayes I bet they are generic and won't show what I have. 

Thanks @dodj .  I had held those and decided they looked ok the first time. When you mentioned it I realized I was not looking at things close enough. Nice swift kick in the ass. 

cuda hunter

That's what it was.  Two were burnt up.  Not sure what one of them does as I didn't trace it and nothing extra happened on the truck.
I cobbled them together until I can get a correct new fusible link. 

Thanks for leading me in the correct direction dodj. 

dodj

:bigthumb:
I'd be a little concerned running without fusing of some sort especially seeing as you have a 'custom' harness on your hands
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill