Main Menu

speakers

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 22, 2020, 07:53:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I want to add front stereo speakers to our 70 Challenger.  I still need to order a dash pad, so should I order one for 3 speakers and add new speakers to the dash?  I understand from reading other posts that we will have to trim some metal to make the modern speakers fit.  Alternatively, does anyone put something like a 6" round speaker in the kick panels or the doors?
Thanks

Dakota

I have a 3 speaker dash.   Knowing what I know now, I'd use the kick panel approach if I were to do it again.  Finding the side speaker covers and the plates that attach them to the dash pad was pricey and the covers didn't fit the pad well without having the pad modified.

Chryco Psycho

I have added 2 speakers in the center hole before also , kick panels will usually interfere with the park brake unless you set the speakers behind & just perforate the panel , I bet you can easily find a set of used door panels with holes cut in them already , I would be more inclined to use a micro speaker on the A pillar molding adding a pod than cut door panels

usraptor

My 'Cuda came with a three speaker dash.  I replaced all three speakers with modern versions of the originals.  I didn't go hi tech because apparently they won't work with an original 1970 AM-8-track very well even though I did have a plug installed in the radio where I can plug in my I-Pod.  But to be honest, I rarely if ever listen to the radio.  I enjoy the sound of the engine/exhaust to much. especially when rowing the gears.  :yes:  That being said, if you want a pair of old original door panels to cut up and put door speakers in I've a got a pair that I'd sell you cheap, plus shipping.  They're not pristine by any means but they are driver quality that have been re-painted.  If interested PM me and I can send you pics. 

blown motor

@usraptor How did those 8 tracks work out?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

blown motor

I put a dual cone speaker in the centre where the original was. Also have kick panel speakers but you have to be careful to get ones that are shallow enough to fit.

usraptor

Quote from: blown motor on March 25, 2020, 02:37:34 PM
@usraptor How did those 8 tracks work out?

A little less than half actually play but they work great as a display.  Every time I go to a car show I display the case on the passenger floor board with the lid open and put the Best of ZZ Top in the player.  The ZZ Top tape played when I first got them but I've played it so much that now only about half the songs play. LOL  Some shows I get more comments regarding the 8-tracks then I do about the rest of the car.  It's not uncommon for a father to see them and go grab their kids and drag them back to show them the tapes as they comment, "That's what I used to listen to when I was your age."  The next most common question I get is if the 8-track is original and does it still work? When I tell them yes to both they are even more impressed.  Thanks once again for the tapes.  They are very much appreciated.

blown motor

I'm glad you're having fun with them.  :twothumbsup:

Mike P

In the mid 70s I upgraded the left and right speakers to 3" Jensens in my three speaker dash 1974 Barracuda. It did require modifying the metal speaker grills on the dash.

My current 1974 'Cuda has a one speaker dash with two 3" inch speakers custom mounted in the center position. These speakers are 25 years old and are now sounding a bit worn out. I am going to replace with a new dual voice coil speaker.

I did install a dual voice coil center dash speaker in my '74 Road Runner and it sounds very good. It is connected to the original AM/FM multiplex radio that was upgraded to modern internal electronics and still retains stock appearance and function. The upgrade adds power and allows the radio to drive four speakers (dual voice coil in dash and a pair of Polk 6 x 9s mounted under rear window) at levels that can be heard over a loud exhaust.