Main Menu

73 Barracuda engine wiring harness diagram

Started by JunkYardFind, March 22, 2021, 10:33:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

I believe #1 is the oil pressure sending unit wire. For rallye dash it goes to a larger tapered cylindrical sensor. For standard it is a smaller cylinder with a blade that operate a red light in the car. Yours looks like the latter.

#2 looks like the windshield washer feed. It jumps across to the right fender wall by the alternator.

#3 looks like the choke controller wire. In 73 they introduced an electronic controller for the choke. It's mounted near the coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

MoparLeo

And of course you cleaned all the old connectors and coated the connectors with "Dielectric grease" to correctly complete the rewire.
https://rxmechanic.com/what-is-dielectric-grease/
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

JunkYardFind

Quote from: MoparLeo on March 30, 2021, 05:30:52 PM
And of course you cleaned all the old connectors and coated the connectors with "Dielectric grease" to correctly complete the rewire.
https://rxmechanic.com/what-is-dielectric-grease/

Yep, sure did! Got it all wired and it started great. Just ordered the next bulkhead wiring kit (headlamps, etc) Gonna do all the bulkhead wiring and from there....not sure. Maybe work on the original AC clutch, thing is starting to screech like my ex-wife  :o

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

JunkYardFind

Quote from: 71383bee on March 24, 2021, 08:48:59 PM
I believe #1 is the oil pressure sending unit wire. For rallye dash it goes to a larger tapered cylindrical sensor. For standard it is a smaller cylinder with a blade that operate a red light in the car. Yours looks like the latter.

#2 looks like the windshield washer feed. It jumps across to the right fender wall by the alternator.

#3 looks like the choke controller wire. In 73 they introduced an electronic controller for the choke. It's mounted near the coil.

Yep, you nailed all 3 correct! Talked with Bill Evans and he set me straight. Thanks for all the help here! I will have a new thread for the next slot....the headlight wiring etc if I run into any trouble.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

71383bee

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. The light harness is pretty straightforward. I like to work backwards and lay it front the front back to the bulkhead. I stray by opening all the wiring clips on the radiator mount panel and including the lights from under the car.  You have to remove the headlight grills and at least the low beam lights to get to the plug unless you have have really small hands and are flexible.

Next is just to plumb in the new wire through the same route and clip it in. It's pretty obvious where it all goes as each light has a specific connector.

After the front is done I pull the old bulkhead and disconnect the feeds to the starter relay and the ground. Yank the old harness out. Sand the small grounding point for the light lead and battery lead then lay in the new harness to the bulkhead. Snap in bulkhead, connect to relay, and then bill on the ground and your fine.

A good thing to do when you do this is to replace the wire plastic wire clips as you come across them. You come through around 4 or so of various types.  Makes a nice clean look. All of the parts guys like Roseville should have a kit specific to the car. Also a great time to swap out the battery cables if they are beat up and old.

Good luck!  I can get you pictures of specific areas of your in a bind.

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top