Main Menu

Mini starter for header clearance

Started by Kewl_Wheels, January 04, 2018, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Kewl_Wheels

Happy New Year everyone! I'm looking into a mini starter to clear some headman elite headers on a 383 for my 70 challenger, hoping there may be some recommendations out there. Here's one I was looking at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nsmall

I have no advice.  I would like to say I like your picture.  Looking good. :yes:

Brads70

I think that will work, but a Dakota one will too and cost much less. @Chryco Psycho

Chryco Psycho

Any of the production starters from a 87-95 v8 La or Magnum will bolt in & you can buy them from around $50 from a parts store

303 Mopar

Much cheaper alternatives as mentioned above, and you should note that most everything from YO is overpriced.  :Thud:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 05, 2018, 12:56:59 AM
Any of the production starters from a 87-95 v8 La or Magnum will bolt in & you can buy them from around $50 from a parts store
:iagree: Definitely the better route. I run them on my 340's and usually buy them rebuilt on Ebay for around 80.00. Never had a issue and gives you some serious room. Not to mention it sounds a whole lot better cranking than the old original type starters.

72 Challenger

My last Challenger had crappy summit headers on it that ran extremely close to the starter and I suffered from heat soak all the time. My new Challenger has the power master one shown and what a difference. Even the first crank for the season after sitting all winter with a slightly discharged battery it works flawlessly. I am lucky that it came on the car and I did not have to shell out that kind of price for it.

I am all for originality but the original starters are massive, weigh a ton, and for the amount of power they draw are mediocre.
Someday I will have a J0b.

GrandpaKevin

I bought this mini starter off E-bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-MINI-MOPAR-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-318-360-400-HIGHER-TORQUE/132219517802?epid=505812119&hash=item1ec8e5bb6a:g:GcwAAOSwaSZaD7-J&vxp=mtre
The starter has worked great for the short time I've used it.

Header clearance for my application is a different story.
I'm using Hooker Comp. 1 7/8" header on a 440 with Stealth aluminum heads.
The car has the larger power steering gearbox and space is very tight.

I learned the hard way the starter is like a ship in a bottle with using headers. The starter has to be installed or at least set up in place near the block BEFORE the header on that side is bolted to the head as even the smaller mini starter could not be wiggled in place around the installed header and power steering gearbox.
I had to loosen the header and pull it away from the head to install the starter.

Once everything is installed there is good clearance between the header tubes and the starter.

Shane Kelley

Same issue using TTI headers with a big block. Header definitely has to be loose to get the starter on.

70/6chall

My subject matter is the same as yours, just a different engine. It may not help your situation exactly but you can see what I'm going to do. When I added Hooker Headers to my Slant-6, I ran into a problem when my starter went out ( probably due to being close to headers and a heat soak issue). Just recently. Was starting fine on the old 20lb starter, but gave up. What a hassle getting it out through the tubes. So I picked up an aluminum hi-torque Nippon Denso mini starter from a parts house for an early 90's 318 magnum engine under $100. Checked it against old starter, everything the same, except mm nuts. At 7lbs will be easier to put in and change out. Turns up quicker and also fits all the V8's, I'll just have to get used to the sound of the starter instead of Waa,Waa,Waa,Waa. Pic shows positioning of old starter.    Thanks,   Al.     Overkill on a 6, maybe!

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks for all the help that definitely gives me a lot of options to check out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk