Main Menu

Mini Starter and Header Clearence Question

Started by Daveh, February 11, 2017, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

last night I installed my TTI headers and Powermaster mini starter (#9513) which was recommended by TTI.  It's on my 340.  (FYI - I'm doing a 5 speed conversion.)  Does it look installed correctly to you?  This is my first MOPR.  It was a very tight fit.  It's adjustable and I have it clocked the farthest away from the header as possible.  Clocking it the other way made it almost parallel to the header tube and I want to keep as much heat away from the starter as possible. I had to dimple the header slightly (OUCH) but now there is clearance and nothing is touching the header.

There are pictures attached if you can make them out with being such close quarters.  Let me know.  Thanks

Dave

HP_Cuda

If those are ceramic coated you don't have to worry as much, otherwise the life of the starter can be shortened but by how much I cannot say.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

That's a tight fit, but looks like you got it as good as it can.  Be careful when you run the starter wires to keep them off the headers. 

Those mini starters do a pretty good job.

anlauto

The problem you might run into is the fact you think everything is tight, but the header may not be seated against the head properly. Ran into that before with a non-factory bellhousing...thought the header was okay "resting" on it, yet we quickly learned once fired up that the header was leaking like crazy....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I'm using Remflex header gaskets that are very forgiving so hopefully I will be good.  I'm going to also run the battery in the trunk so the wires will be coming in from the rear.  There's enough spare threaded holes around were I will be able to fabricate a bracket or two of I have too. 

Cudakiller70

Just best'em in for more power.

EDIT by Cuda Cody: fixed you tube link

61K T/A

Blake@diyhemi.com

Believe it or not, the starter from a 2005/2006 Ram 2500 with hemi bolts up really tight to the block with great clearance. Works great on SBM and new hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
This is what i suggested as well $25 will get a used one from the wrecker , change the contacts for $5 & good to go

Blake@diyhemi.com

2500 Ram 5.7 Starter. I got the idea from srt8cuda build over on forabodiesonly.com. He had the same issues with being to close to his TTI headers and found this starter as a resolution.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/srt8cuda-build.218445/page-4

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/srt8cuda-build.218445/page-5
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 03, 2017, 08:55:58 PM
like that  :woohoo:

:iagree:  Great idea, Thanks for sharing that!  Will that same starter work for original SB& BB ? Like the gear meshes up the same etc...?
I ran some header wrap around my starter, thinking it was close and doing what I could to keep heat away was a good thing. I had to "fine tune" my ceramic coated heaters with a hammer around that area also. :tired:

Blake@diyhemi.com

It bolts right into the big block and small block bell housings. Gear mesh was great on my car wrt the flywheel. It's $100 starter from any auto parts store with warranty. I have no experience with them on an older engine, but it looks like it will work from what I have seen. Worth a shot.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Brads70

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on March 04, 2017, 11:58:11 AM
It bolts right into the big block and small block bell housings. Gear mesh was great on my car wrt the flywheel. It's $100 starter from any auto parts store with warranty. I have no experience with them on an older engine, but it looks like it will work from what I have seen. Worth a shot.

Sounds great. When my starter goes I'll be sure to give this a try!  :clapping: :bradsthumb:

Application from the Abodies only web site.....
It is a 56029274AA from a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 L with a manual tranny. NAPA online shows this as a NNE 4N6987 (new) or here in Canada p/n 244-6987 (rebuilt):
You also have to drill out the threaded top hole in the starter to allow it to be bolted to the bellhousing.

cataclysm80

I used some kind of over the counter new mini starter on my 340 'Cuda back around 2004ish.  Works great, bolted right on, no problems even after all these years.
I'll have to see if I can find the receipt and figure out what it is.