Main Menu

Testing a blower motor switch?

Started by 750-h2, February 07, 2018, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am in the process of assembling the Rallye dash on my 1970 Non AC Challenger. I wanted to test my blower switch which has 3 prongs. Two on top and one at the bottom. Using an Ohm meter I get continuity when the switch is placed on high by touching the bottom terminal and the top left terminal. I cannot get any continuity when the switch is on low no matter what prongs are touched with the probes of the Ohm meter?  Is this normal or is my switch defective?   Thanks

750-h2

If no one knows the answer off hand, can someone who has a switch that is out of the car be kind enough to do a simple Ohm meter test on it and let me know the results.  I suspect my switch is bad but would like to know for sure before I try to locate a good used one. Thanks!  :fingerscrossed:

Shane Kelley

I haven't replied because I don't know for a fact.  If I had a spare I would check for you but I don't think I do. But I really think you have a bad switch. I'm pretty sure you should have continuity on that terminal with the switch in a different position. I don't see how it would work otherwise.

750-h2

Do you know if there is a resistor in the switch.  Maybe I can take it apart and replace it?  Really wanted to put the dash pad back together this weekend.

Jay Bee

As far as I know there's no resistor inside. First pic is "FAN" (low/middle) position, 2nd is "HIGH" (far right looking from the front) position. Hope this helps, ask if you need more info. FYI, my ohmmeter reads .5/.6 when the leads are touching each other.

750-h2

Jay Bee that is perfect! At least I now know my switch is defective. Tomorrow I will try to take it apart to see if it can be fixed. Thanks again!!!

Jay Bee

You're welcome. I can't imagine it's too complicated inside. When I got that panel the switch was seized. A little WD40 freed it up and probably cleaned the contacts too. If you do take yours apart I'd be curious as to what you found wrong.

750-h2

1 Wild R/T

So the trick here is the old Dodge truck blower switch which while different all the important parts will interchange...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Blower-Control-Switch-Front-Standard-HS-203/172972000820?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170105155410%26meid%3Df8fa7bb5870543ca80f5152ff51d2b8c%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D172972000820&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

Correction, looking at photos some of the dodge truck blower switches are four prong....  But some definitely were tree prong cause I've used them in the past...

750-h2

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated! 

1 Wild R/T

I updated the post.... Look close before pulling the trigger...

750-h2

Update: Took the switch apart this morning, just needed to bend the 3 metal tabs and it comes apart. Very simple design. Only 3 removable parts inside. I cleaned contacts with scotch brite pad, I stretched out spring to add more pressure to contact points, reassemble, then  lubed with wd40. Five minute job and now works perfectly. :thankyou:

1 Wild R/T

Excellent!!!  Allot of the times the contacts are burned up & when that happens often the connector gets burnt too....

Claudia

Switch is a pretty simple design.  As you can see from the pictures, my switch looked to be in pretty rough shape when I started but it cleaned up and worked great!  It was a pretty easy do it yourself project!