Main Menu

Time delay relay location?

Started by Plum70Dodge, March 17, 2021, 06:57:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Plum70Dodge

So i have the A01 light package and some of the wiring was removed and/or cut.
I just ordered a relay from Roseville this morning. But were exactly is this supposed to be located. Does it have a place holder bracket like the turn signal flasher?

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

It gets taped to the wiring harness near the steering column

FE5CUDA

They (delay relays) burn out quickly when hanging in mid air or taped to wire insulation.  The A01 time delay relay was taped to the steering column to act as a heat sink in parallel with black cotton tape.

7E-Bodies

My car has the A01 package also and I'm not to the assembly phase yet. In case mine is bad, are these remanufactured or available still?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

shawge

I haven't heard of them being reproduced.  Might get lucky with e-bay. 

Found this from Jim (from JS Restorations):

The time delay relay does power the light fixture on the steering column for the ignition switch and the title light fixture (switch panel).

Think of this time delay relay as operating like a one shot turn signal relay. Both relays work by stainless steel contact arms where one is wound with a wire coil. As heat builds up, these contacts heat up, bend and close, then when power is cut, the arm cools and disconnects.

The different is the time delay relay will turn on when a door is opened and continues to light those two bulbs after the door closes and does not re-trigger, but only continues on one time for about thirty seconds. Once the door opens again, this sequence starts over again.

The delay light relay should be mounted on the steering column with tape as they did at the factory. This serves as a heat sink since this is a thermal driven device. Hanging in mid air can cause this device to burn up rather quickly.

To test this relay, unplug and read the impedance between the 12 volt battery input and door jam ground terminals. It should read around -35 Ohms. If there is an O/L reading, the part is dead. Once plugged back in and the door opened and closed, the output terminal should read 12 dcv between and any clean exposed dash metal for a ground.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

anlauto

Quote from: shawge on March 18, 2021, 09:28:23 AM
I haven't heard of them being reproduced.  Might get lucky with e-bay. 

Roseville sells them and members here get a discount....no need for EBay :twothumbsup:

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/ignition-time-delay-relay-on-1968-to-2002/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

shawge

Thanks Alan, good to know they can be found new.  I should pick one up as a spare and convert my old one to use transistors instead of heated elements.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

7E-Bodies

@shawge excellent write up. I've just screenshot it for my assembly phase. Thank you! Also thank you @anlauto for pointing out that the relay is obtainable.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

shawge

No problem, just relaying the info.  The thanks go to @Slotts for the write-up and pic.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Dakota

Excellent info folks.  I had my relay "hanging free" when I was getting ready to put my car back on the road.  I ended up disconnecting it because it got very hot.  Now I know why.