Main Menu

Turn Signal Help!

Started by pfonda, May 31, 2020, 08:43:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pfonda

Hello! New to the forum, purchased a '73 Cuda not too long ago and have been busy changing all the wiring harnesses. Front and rear harnesses went in just fine, and dash harness was straightforward, although now, the turn signals are not working. I have LED bulbs in, with new LED flashers (both of them). The hazards are working just fine, headlights are fine, I've tried two different steering column wiring sets (original on the car and it was working before the harness swap) and a newly purchased on. Also, horn only works when the key is first put in the ignition, once you turn the key to any position, it no longer works. The ignition light works fine, and turns after some time as its on the time delay relay. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

Chryco Psycho

I am wonering if the wires in the new harness are in the correct positions as the colors don't line up on both sides of the plugs  :thinking:
Who did you buy the new harness from ?

1 Wild R/T

The LED Type flasher needs the polarity swapped... Don't ask me why but E bodies have the polarity reverse from the T/signals to the hazards... The LED flasher likes the wiring on the hazards but not the T/signals... Pop the wires out of the plug & swap them...  Horn I think Neil nailed... Does the horn work with the original switch?

pfonda

Thanks for the help! It is strange that the colors don't match up. The main dash harness  was purchased through YearOne, so should be an M&H harness. The old and new turn signal connects have identical color order on the plugs.

Regarding the LED flasher, I bought the 2 port with polarity reverse connector, tried to add it, still no luck. Hopefully it's something with the plug order being wrong, some line up (like the red one), but that is the one that's also not working, should be for the turn signal.

pfonda

after a long day of tinkering, got everything working. I switched back to an 11 wire switch, colors match up, and the LED flasher near the ash tray wasn't working, had to switch back to the old one and switch the side markers+tail light bulbs back to regular ones instead of LED bulbs. At least everything is working finally!

Thanks for all of the help, appreciate it

bc3j

Quote from: pfonda on June 01, 2020, 08:17:06 PM
after a long day of tinkering, got everything working. I switched back to an 11 wire switch, colors match up, and the LED flasher near the ash tray wasn't working, had to switch back to the old one and switch the side markers+tail light bulbs back to regular ones instead of LED bulbs. At least everything is working finally!

If this helps, I use LEDs for all lights that illuminate (except headlights I use seal beams) when the headlights are turned on. For some reason my hazards work with the stock flasher unit. I used a neutral polarity LED turn signal flasher plugged into the factory plug and then grounded to the ash tray frame. Everything works. Even delivers the clicking when on. I also use headlight relays.

dodj

Quote from: pfonda on June 01, 2020, 08:17:06 PM

If you do what 1 WildR/T suggested, you can run your LED turn signals
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill