Main Menu

Turn signal problem

Started by Jeff G, August 08, 2019, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jeff G

Hi all, I am new to the forum just joined. I am hoping someone can help me with it.

Turn signals are dead. Here is a little background

I have a 1972 Challenger
All lights work including side markers, brake,
I checked the fuses, all good
I replaced both flashers.
I rechecked my grounds cleaned them up and snugged them down.
I thought it might have been the turn signal cam, so I pulled the steering wheel and column can to take a look and changed the complete turn signal switch with new switch and wiring harness since the old one was nasty and I was in there anyway. still no turn signals.

I checked the flasher wire by the ashtray and there is no power going to it.
Here is my question. I have an 8 pin turn signal connector that only has power to the PINK wire (4 ways) and the BLACK wire (horn) and nothing else. Should all these pins have power running out of them to the turn signal wiring harness?. I have a wiring diagram and it is showing the flasher wire and the radio are connected? Do I have to keep digging deeper under the dash to trace it back or am I totally off target.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, I'm getting to old to work under the dash lol

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Jeff G   :welcome: 

Is the 72 Challenger original or a fresh restoration?  When was the last time the blinkers worked?  Do your emergency flashers work?

Jeff G

I have had the car for 11 years. The turn signals stopped working a few weeks ago after a long road trip to the Syracuse Nationals. Yes, the 4 ways work

Chryco Psycho

you need to track down why there is no power to the flasher , the power goes there first then up the column ot the turn signal switch & out of the 4 wires to the individual lights
Welcome to the site BTW

Jeff G

Thanks Cody. The car has had someone playing with the wiring before I bought the car, it's certainly been cut up a bit and that's what has got me a little nervous. The radio is an aftermarket that someone installed years ago, cassette player and a sound booster in the trunk

Jeff G

Thanks Chryco Psycho and Cody, I will start my fishin expedition back under the dash rrrrr