Main Menu

Turn Signal Switch for '70 Challenger

Started by erik70rt, April 12, 2017, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Quote from: chal340 on April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM
I have never bought at Jimsautoparts, but in his website there is a 70 only reproduction turn signal switch.

https://www.jimsautoparts.com/electric.htm

Read what I posted above - the current "1970 correct switch" being sold on the market is NOT correct for 1970 cars. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

erik70rt

Quote from: hato on April 13, 2017, 01:23:23 PM
quick question as am in the middle of the same repair how did you snake it down the column without removing it i have it halfway into just the hard part is trying to get it sideways

I tied a piece of string to the connector and fed that through the column first.  Then gently pull the wiring through.

303 Mopar

Not to take over the post but a related question -  anyone accidentally bump the turn signal lever and have it come loose?  I think there is a screw on the turn signal switch but do you have to pull off the steering wheel assembly to get to it?  Any suggestion as to how to keep this screw tight because I am just a clutz with long legs?

1 Wild R/T

Steering wheel has to come off, hitting it with your leg shouldn't loosen it, I'd suspect it never got fully tightened... You could put a drop of purple loctite on it but it shouldn't be necessary...

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Once they are tight it normally stays tight.  But it's not very hard to remove and get to.  In the video about 1:20 minutes in.....

HP_Cuda

Yep, ya got to pull the can off and tighten it down and I hit it with Red Loctite.

It really doesn't take that long if you have a appropriate puller.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

I thought someone said they was an access hole in the can so it doesn't have to come off ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 13, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: chal340 on April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM
I have never bought at Jimsautoparts, but in his website there is a 70 only reproduction turn signal switch.

https://www.jimsautoparts.com/electric.htm

Do yourself a favor & kdeep it that way.......

:iagree:

cataclysm80

The redesign happened so that it would be easier to change the ignition lamp bulb on A01 cars.

Best thing for you to do will be to install your original black flasher knob onto the reproduction switch.

Cuda Cody

:clapping: great photo showing the difference between the two!!!!

cataclysm80

Quote from: hato on April 13, 2017, 01:23:23 PM
quick question as am in the middle of the same repair how did you snake it down the column without removing it i have it halfway into just the hard part is trying to get it sideways

The bottom of the steering column has a wiring cover that's held in place with 2 short bolts.
Once that's removed, it should be really easy to slide the wires through, big flat connecter and all.

The wiring cover is metal in 1970, and plastic in later years, but either will work.

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 14, 2017, 09:16:55 PM
Best thing for you to do will be to install your original black flasher knob onto the reproduction switch.

If you don't want to bother with using rivets for reassembly, I've found that these stainless machine screws with nylock nuts work fine.

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2017, 12:29:16 PM
I thought someone said they was an access hole in the can so it doesn't have to come off ? :dunno:

I'll have to look for that next time I'm putting one together.
That could save some time.  If an access hole exists​ in the crush can, then you wouldn't need a puller to change a turn signal lever.

erik70rt

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 14, 2017, 09:43:45 PM

That could save some time.  If an access hole exists​ in the crush can, then you wouldn't need a puller to change a turn signal lever.

It does exist.  There are two holes - 180 degrees apart

303 Mopar

Quote from: erik70rt on April 15, 2017, 05:55:59 AM
Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 14, 2017, 09:43:45 PM

It does exist.  There are two holes - 180 degrees apart

I will look at this next week and try to get a pic.