Main Menu

Turn Signal Switch for '70 Challenger

Started by erik70rt, April 12, 2017, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I finally pulled the turn signal switch from my R/T to replace it.  When I tried to put the new 1970 switch into the column, the flasher switch was not even close to fitting.  I have the original column in the car, and when I compare the two the flasher knob is definitely different.  See the pics.  My car has a production date of June 8, 1970, so is it possible a '71 switch got installed in my car? 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody

The photos are hard to tell what one you have.  The first photo is 1970 (with A01) and the 2nd photo is the 1971+ compared to the skinnier 70.  What one do you have that you are trying to put in?  Do you have an A01 light bar in the column?

Cuda Cody

This might help.   :fingerscrossed:  Go to 24 minutes / 16 seconds.

erik70rt

Here are some more pics:  The first is the switch from my R/T with the thin flasher knob compared to the "1970" switch I got from Year One.  The second is a close up of the knobs where you can see the thicker knob on the new switch.  The third pic is a column I have from a '70 Challenger with a Feb 12. build date that has the A01 light package.  You can see the thicker knob on this column.  The fourth pic is of the new switch and the column switch and you can see they are the same.  The last pic is the switch I pulled compared to the column and you can see they are different knobs.

anlauto

The narrow one is correct for 1970, the wider one and your new one from YearOne is correct for 71+. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: anlauto on April 12, 2017, 06:25:48 PM
The narrow one is correct for 1970, the wider one and your new one from YearOne is correct for 71+. :alan2cents:

I've read that before, but how do you explain the wider one on an original 1970 column like in the pics above?  The car it came out of I bought in 1987 and it was all original. 

erik70rt

UPDATE:  so anyone else will not run into this problem........

The current reproduction part being sold as a "1970" switch is NOT!  The part is listed as the "current factory replacement" which in reality is the 71-74 piece, and the "steering column must be modified".  I spoke with Year One this morning about it so I am returning my part.

Cuda Cody

Could have easily been replaced under warranty or something?  Might have been a late 70 car too?   :notsure:  But as you can see in the video around the 24 minute mark you will need to sand down the reproductions to make it work in a 70 column.  But if it was me, I would change the knob out so you have the correct knob for 1970 and the A01 light package.  I show how to in the video, but if you have any problems just PM me your number and I'll call and walk you through it.   :slapme5:

Quote from: erik70rt on April 13, 2017, 05:53:58 AM
Quote from: anlauto on April 12, 2017, 06:25:48 PM

I've read that before, but how do you explain the wider one on an original 1970 column like in the pics above?  The car it came out of I bought in 1987 and it was all original.

erik70rt

I saw that in your video.  Was going to send it back, but I guess I'll swap out the knob.  All this for lousy brake lights!  LOL 

hato

quick question as am in the middle of the same repair how did you snake it down the column without removing it i have it halfway into just the hard part is trying to get it sideways

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: hato on April 13, 2017, 01:23:23 PM
quick question as am in the middle of the same repair how did you snake it down the column without removing it i have it halfway into just the hard part is trying to get it sideways

best way to install without taking the column apart is to remove the old switch by cutting the wires at the top then use the old wires to pull the new wires into the column.... I actually remove the connector, pull the wires into place then reinstall the connector.....  Snap a photo before you remove the connector so you know how to reinstall the wires..

If you already pulled the wires feeding one wire through is usually pretty easy, do that, remove the connector shell, tape all the wires together & to the single wire & use that wire to pull the others through....

chal340

I have never bought at Jimsautoparts, but in his website there is a 70 only reproduction turn signal switch.

https://www.jimsautoparts.com/electric.htm
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: chal340 on April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM
I have never bought at Jimsautoparts, but in his website there is a 70 only reproduction turn signal switch.

Do yourself a favor & keep it that way.......

chal340

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 13, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: chal340 on April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM

Do yourself a favor & keep it that way.......

Yes, I heard that on MOPARTS, it's for this I have never bought et him.
But if he sells 70 only, someone fabricate it, so maybe it's possible to find one. no?
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

anlauto

Quote from: hato on April 13, 2017, 01:23:23 PM

patience  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration