Main Menu

Turn Signal Switch problems No back Up Lights

Started by CudaHead, July 14, 2023, 08:51:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I have a 1971 Challenger. Was having problems with cut outs and my Back Up lights were not working.

Three things:

First, I fixed the Back Up Lights be installing a new OER turn signal switch.
But, check this out on the switch. Notice that on the old switch has a lot of metal junk on the point where the white wire comes in.

Second, I found this part inside the column looking at the switch area. I could not identify it. I looked in the parts manual illustration and that part does not show up. Any ideal what it is?

Third, I have a 71 car. After I put it back together I noticed the lock out for removing the key, was not returning like it use to. I can move it by hand and that still works. Any ideals?

Chryco Psycho

The turn signal switch has nothing to do with the back up lights .
The metal looks like brass ground off the tip of the contact touching the steering wheel so make sure the contact ring is smooth & undamaged .
the lock tab to remove the key is spring loaded , did the spring get moved out of place .
Not sure what the extra part is  .

CudaHead

Hello Chryco Psycho, thanks for replying.

As I understand it, the Brake Switch has a white wire that goes into the Turn Signal Switch. Then the output comes out of the next two leads that go to the Brake Lights. Dark Green and Brown. 
When I replaced the Turn Signal Switch, the Brake Lights worked.

I cleaned up the junk before I put the new switch assembly, But I never went down into next level, so I never touched the key release. Maybe I tighten something to hard?

I have no ideal what that part is. I just noticed it inside the column when I was installing the Turn Signal Switch.

Chryco Psycho

Correct , th white wire feeds power to the switch where it divides into 4 outputs  , front & rear & left & right , only the rear brake light is interupted for turn signal .
This has nothing to do with the reverse lights .
It really looks to me like the metal was from the contact post for the horn .