Main Menu

Two-speed Wiper Motor Switch

Started by 1970Cuda, June 18, 2024, 10:38:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1970Cuda

Hi all - I didn't see an exact answer on our forum for my question, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew for certain.

I have a two-speed wiper motor on my project and have the original switch that came with the car. I replaced my main wiring harness (M&H Electric) and noticed that the connection to the switch has an "extra" brown wire that doesn't seem to be used. I still have my original harness and it's the same configuration.

I know the 1970 harness is different from the '71-'74 harness (the only one that M&H reproduces), but from what I gathered it's the horn relay that only needs to be replaced. I have a standard (non-rallye) dash. See picture.

Q: Do I have it connected correctly? And what is the brown wire used for, as the shop manual isn't very clear when I try to follow the schematic.

Jay Bee

Looks correct to me. Both only go in one way with one terminal left unused. Somewhere on this site I posted pictures of the wiper switches correctly plugged in. I'll have to dig into that brown wire later.

Found, Post#4
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/71-cuda-variable-wiper-switch-extra-terminal/25479/

1970Cuda

Thanks a lot for your response Jay Bee! I appreciate it. Lesson learned to take more pictures before disassembling anything. What confused me is the un-used terminal. 

And thanks for your post too. I'll look at it. It's always appreciated all the knowledge that's available from this community.  :handshake:

Jay Bee

Please clear something up for me. When you refer to a "brown wire" do you mean that unused B/U terminal? I ask because other than the brown wire that's in the large plug I don't see an "extra" brown wire in your picture. AFAIK that B/U terminal is only there for testing.

SRT392

brown wire is for the washer pump if you have that.  not used if you have the manual foot pump

Jay Bee

Quote from: SRT392 on June 18, 2024, 07:15:30 PMbrown wire is for the washer pump if you have that.  not used if you have the manual foot pump
Agreed. BUT, I was asking about this "extra" wire he was talking about. There's only one brown wire (V10-18BR) on the wiper switch plug and it's part of the large connector. It's not "extra". That's why I think he meant to say terminal and not wire which I just wanted clarification on.
Quote from: 1970Cuda on June 18, 2024, 10:38:09 AMthe switch has an "extra" brown wire that doesn't seem to be used.

1970Cuda

You both are correct and I chose my words poorly. It is the V10-BR wire that I was referring to, as shown with the arrow in the picture. I tried to trace it back but stopped. And yes, I do have a manual pump for my washer.

It is also interesting to learn that the unused B/U terminal was for testing. You fellows really know your stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Jay Bee

Ahh, now I see. Lowell, you didn't choose your words poorly at all. I should have remembered that the 2 speed wiper switch doesn't have a terminal/pin for V10-18BR. I might have said the same thing in that case - sorry.

John

1970Cuda

It's all good - I'm simply impressed with how much you, and others on this forum, know. This is the first e-body I've done, so I am trying not to screw up too many things before I get it running.

On a side note, after spending tons of hours putting the dash together originally, e.g., new main wiring harness, restored cluster, restored dash pad (what a pain) and all those things, yesterday I tore apart some of the dash to find out what I was doing wrong with the switch/harness connection. This could have been totally avoided if I had done a little more research. (At least I'm getting better at Remove/Replace.)

- Lowell