Main Menu

Solved - Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor not working correctly

Started by Odin, December 31, 2019, 07:02:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

restoring a 71 Challenger including all new wiring harnesses.  It's been about a year since I last used the wipers, but I know they worked at that time.  Car has been at body shop and mechanic since last February.  I just got the car to a place where I can check electrical stuff.  I have a 3-speed motor and what looks like a variable speed switch.

Problem: motor only turns when switch is in far left counterclockwise position.  Motor stops in all other positions.

I just pulled the dash apart to look at the switches and wiring.  Right away I see one terminal on the switch which has no wire connected to it.  Also, the two-speed harness was connected to the three speed motor while it was at the body shop months ago.  It looks like a hack job.  Please help me figure out what is wrong and what needs to be repaired or replaced.

edison1970

I might be wrong but that doesn't look like a 3 speed switch. I have 2 of them and the one you have looks completely different.

fc7cuda

#2770380 is correct for 70 variable speed wiper switch.  :alan2cents:

You might try testing the switch and motor, use the service manual and this video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmP3SYjdQSQ

Good luck  :fingerscrossed:

750-h2

Also make sure that the switch is properly grounded.

Odin

I sent the 3-speed motor to Bruce Somer. He tested it and quickly found out the guy who installed the new wiring harness did it wrong. The motor works fine. Bruce will clean it up and replace the wiring for me. Great guy. I was going to send the switches to get restored but don't think I will now

Dakota

Glad you got your issue fixed.  I sent my wiper motor to Bruce after I rebuilt it but couldn't get it to run on a bench test.   He quickly found a loose wire in the new harness.   Good guy. 

HEMICUDA

You guys quit sending Bruce more work, he's suppose to be working on another wiper motor for the pink AAR I'm getting ready to put together. :cheers:

JS29

Bruce is the man, he found a correct date code wiper motor, rebuilt it, and helped me figure out were the untrained chimp's that through my car together changed wires in the plug.   :headbang: